• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Drinks When With a Minor

Mambwe

I will be in NYC in May with a few friends. My 18-year-old brother will be with us. The rest of us are 27-30. Will any of the better drink places let us in with an underage person? We were thinking PDT or D&C.

If not, does anyone know a place that will let an 18-year-old in to have a coke? I know he can't sit at the bar.

I will call both places later today to confirm.

No one under the age of 21 is allowed in a NYC bar by law. Period. This is not to say that it wouldn't be possible to get him in to a bar if he just happened to not be carded. But you're going to have to be lucky. And he would be putting himself at risk by breaking the law, not to mention that he would be putting the bar at risk as well.

If you want to have drinks in a place where he is allowed to be by law, you're going to have to go to a bar that is part of a restaurant.

--

Tailor is an excellent restaurant with an excellent bar program.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

No one under the age of 21 is allowed in a NYC bar by law.  Period.  This is not to say that it wouldn't be possible to get him in to a bar if he just happened to not be carded.  But you're going to have to be lucky.  And he would be putting himself at risk by breaking the law, not to mention that he would be putting the bar at risk as well.

If you want to have drinks in a place where he is allowed to be by law, you're going to have to go to a bar that is part of a restaurant.

Your kidding right! If he/she is mature looking and acting, I am sure that very few restaurants will refuse service of a coke at a bar. I have shared the bar at Jean Georges often with well behaved teenagers (and younger) waiting for tables with their parents.

Your kidding right! If he/she is mature looking and acting,  I am sure that very few restaurants will refuse service of a coke at a bar. I have shared the bar at Jean Georges often with well behaved teenagers (and younger) waiting for tables with their parents.

No, I don't think Sam's kidding - it's exactly what he said.

And I still don't think you can walk into a restaurant with a bar and just expect to sit at the bar and have drinks with a minor - if you're not waiting for a table.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Your kidding right! If he/she is mature looking and acting,  I am sure that very few restaurants will refuse service of a coke at a bar. I have shared the bar at Jean Georges often with well behaved teenagers (and younger) waiting for tables with their parents.

No, I don't think Sam's kidding - it's exactly what he said.

And I still don't think you can walk into a restaurant with a bar and just expect to sit at the bar and have drinks with a minor - if you're not waiting for a table.

It depends. I'd imagine you could at Tailor, but that's because the bar area is basically entirely separate. I've certainly never been carded there, anyway.

This whole discussion is predicated (I hope) on having the underage person simply accompanying the others and not partaking or trying to partake of alcohol. With this in mind, having dinner at a restaurant with a good bar program is really IMO the only way to go, thus my suggestion of Tailor upthread. This way those who are of legal age who wish to have some drinks can and the minor is still able to accompany them. It would be a legitimate problem otherwise that can only serve to potentially get the bar or restaurant into unnecessary trouble - not to mention all those involved. To simply try to go to a bar for drinks with a minor is not recommended.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The minor will not be drinking or attempting to drink anything with alcohol. These are not my intentions. This is for a bachelor party where we will be eating at Momofuku Ssam and afterwards those of us that are of age were hoping to get a drink somewhere else. The plan is basically go to Ssam, smoke a cigar at a cigar lounge and get a night cap at a different bar/restaurant.

I wasn't sure of the whole drinking thing and a minor.

On the topic of cigar lounges you might try Velvet Cigar Lounge.  It's right in the EV and small enough that you could probably rent out the space for your party for a few hours.  Very chill spot.

We were actually planning on going to Velvet Cigar Lounge after dinner. There will only be five of us so we won't need to rent the entire lounge. I have never been there before so I don't really know what to expect. I think it's byob so hopefully there won't be an issue with having a minor.

They're pretty welcoming and chill over there. Technically they only have the license for beer and wine to be consumed on the premises, but I've been known to imbibe in other beverages with my cigar. Don't expect much, it's just plastic cups for the $8/person BYO fee but, again, it's pretty chill.

I actually don't love their cigars if I'm going to be honest. They're good but not spectacular. If you've got something special for the occasion bring them and they charge a $10 cutting fee.

They're pretty welcoming and chill over there.  Technically they only have the license for beer and wine to be consumed on the premises, but I've been known to imbibe in other beverages with my cigar.  Don't expect much, it's just plastic cups for the $8/person BYO fee but, again, it's pretty chill.

I actually don't love their cigars if I'm going to be honest.  They're good but not spectacular.  If you've got something special for the occasion bring them and they charge a $10 cutting fee.

Are there any other cigar bars in the area? It doesn't have to be in the east village.