• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Down Home Diner

Holly Moore

I'm sure others will disagree, but I've never found the Down Home Diner anything other than dead average. I'm intrigued to see the impact that his return will make.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

I'm sure others will disagree, but I've never found the Down Home Diner anything other than dead average.  I'm intrigued to see the impact that his return will make.

I have never been a fan either. As much as I'd like to like the place to succeed (seeing as I have made almost-weekly pilgrimages to RTM for about eight years or so now and really enjoy the place), my few meals at Down Home have been a down-right shame. My two visits to Down Home were once on the day the Dutch Eating Place was closed for breakfast (the day after Christmas) and another to try the BBQ after the Smoked Joint (remember that one?) closed. One was when Jack was there and the other time was after he left but neither meal left an impression...well not a good one. It's a shame because the place is neat visually and has a lot of potential. I guess the stream of tourists keeps them afloat?

I've always really liked breakfast at the Down Home Diner. It is one of the best breakfasts, if not the best non-hotel breakfast, in Center City - as good as one can find most anywhere in the South.

Especially good are their country ham and eggs, scrapple and eggs, biscuits, sausage and rich man's gravy, corned beef hash and, if Jack puts it back on the menu, his Northernfied biscuits, ham and red eye gravy.

Only thing I will grant is that the diner runs and tastes better when Jack is on-site and running things as he is now.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter