• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saturday Lunch In Manhattan

robyn

We're getting together for lunch with an old college friend of my husband's when we're in New York City in May. On a Saturday. Neither of us lives in New York. I am trying to find a suitable place for lunch. My primary requirement is that the space is nice - the tables aren't too close together - and that we will be able to sit and chat as long as we care to. That obviously rules out a lot of places. Second requirement is that the restaurant be somewhere in the middle of Manhattan (i.e., not downtown). We will probably go to MOMA or the Met or similar after lunch - and don't want to go all the way downtown - and then come all the way back. The third is that the food should be pretty good or better.

I have some possible candidates - but nothing really hits me between the eyes. Payard Bistro looks good on paper - but I have read some bad reviews about the service. At Aquavit - the dining room is closed on Saturday - only the cafe is open. I have been to Cafe Boulud before - and recall our "2-top" as being right on top of the "2 top" next to us (don't know about "4-tops"). 57 is the restaurant at our hotel. I am sure it meets the first 2 requirements - but not necessarily the third. It has kind of a "brunchy" menu on Saturday.

FWIW - I've had a tough time searching for restaurants open for lunch on Saturday - because some of the information on some of the restaurant search engines I've used is wrong (i.e., it says a restaurant is open for lunch on Saturday when it isn't).

Anyway - any comments on these possibilities - or any other suggestions - would be appreciated. Robyn

The bar room is open:

http://www.themodernnyc.com/modern/modern.html

It's a little noisier at night but the booths are spaced way apart at Marseilles, very good food and wine

I had looked at the Bar Room - but thought it might be too noisy. And this is how the place describes itself on its website: "The casual, vibrant and bustling space..."

But thanks for the suggestion. Robyn

Jean Georges recently opened its dining room for lunch on Saturdays, for what it's worth.

Thanks for this information. I looked up the restaurant - and the website didn't say it was open for Saturday lunch. So I got around to calling the restaurant today and it is indeed open for Saturday lunch. And the menu looks great. Plus the restaurant is apparently planning to continue its Winter Promotion for quite a while (although the lunch menu is very reasonable to start with). I have been meaning to try Jean Georges again (haven't been there in a long time) - so this sounds like a great idea. Robyn

Jean Georges recently opened its dining room for lunch on Saturdays, for what it's worth.

Thanks for this information. I looked up the restaurant - and the website didn't say it was open for Saturday lunch. So I got around to calling the restaurant today and it is indeed open for Saturday lunch. And the menu looks great. Plus the restaurant is apparently planning to continue its Winter Promotion for quite a while (although the lunch menu is very reasonable to start with). I have been meaning to try Jean Georges again (haven't been there in a long time) - so this sounds like a great idea. Robyn

As has been documented quite a bit on Egullet, JG is probably the best foodie deal in NYC. Go at once!

We enjoyed Seagrill in Rockefeller Center--expensive--excellent seafood. We also liked Victor's on 52nd st for cuban food--laid back--we ate there before a matinee on a Sat PM--I think they would let you stay the afternoon if you bought wine or drinks after lunch :biggrin:

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I got wasted or something and promised to treat a friend and his wife to a fab meal in NYC on the occasion of his 50th. For a number of reasons, its possible that a Saturday lunch will be the ideal time to mark this joyous occasion, the chief reason being that if I can snag a Per Se reservation I can get away for far less money than a dinner would be.

Odds being against getting such a reservation, there are other reasons why a Saturday Lunch works well, but are there any other top-caliber restaurants in NYC that offer weekend lunch with serious pizazz?

Beyond that, since I've watched the New Yorkers here go 'round in circles over which of the restaurants I've never eaten at is the "best" and determined that it's something of a personal choice, I wonder if there's a consensus as to which of the 4-star and top 3-stars (Corton comes recommended by a trusted source) might also offer the best "value." We may or may not do a tasting menu -- they are often too much for my wife and I'm not as blown away by the concept as others are -- but we do need strong vegetarian options (another reason why Per Se is the top contender).

And, finally, we may do a mid-week lunch instead so the value question applies, as well, though not as urgently.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

FYI: Per Se for three on a Saturday should be no problem.

Jean Georges across the street might be harder to get if it's very soon (at least before 2:15 or so), but offers FAR more value (best deal in town) for Saturday lunch if you don't need to literally go 110% over the top to impress.