• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kimchi tacos

aprilmei

I read online articles in the New York Times and LA Times about kimchi tacos. Has anyone here ever eaten them, and if so, would you have any idea on how to make them? They sound delish but I probably won't have the chance to eat at these taco trucks anytime soon because I live in Hong Kong. From the descriptions, it doesn't sound as simple as just putting kimchi and kalbi in a corn tortilla. If anyone can help with a few clues on how to make these, I'd be grateful.

Here are the links:

http://www.latimes.com/theguide/restaurant...0,4560062.story

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/25/dining/25taco.html

TIA

I just found a link to their website, wow, do the tacos sound good!

http://kogibbq.com/

But from their descriptions, they don't have kimchi in them at all - so apologies for the misleading subject title. (although thinking about it, adding kimchi is not a bad idea!) Must do some experimenting this weekend...

I had Kogi tacos for the first time yesterday, in fact. They are as delicious as they sound; the short rib taco is basically crack in a tortilla. That website is truly annoying, though--it makes me want to like their tacos a little bit less. Except I can't.

"Degenerates. Degenerates. They'll all turn into monkeys." --Zizek on vegetarians

I had Kogi tacos for the first time yesterday, in fact.  They are as delicious as they sound; the short rib taco is basically crack in a tortilla.  That website is truly annoying, though--it makes me want to like their tacos a little bit less.  Except I can't.

So is the only Korean element in the taco the meat? The toppings sounds Mexican-ish.

I read the article in the IHT (same as the NY times one) on the plane back from Europe Thursday- I'm really intrigued and will have to drag my lazy ass up from Long Beach one of these days.

The use of twitter to track the truck is sheer genius.

Edited by 6ppc (log)

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

Okay, so I made tacos this weekend with marinated spicy pork, red leaf lettuce and spring onion salad (dressed with sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, a little soy sauce, chilli flakes and toasted sesame seeds) and kimchi. It was Korean, except for the corn tortilla. And it was delicious - but why wouldn't it be, I just wrapped it in a warm tortilla rather than lettuce leaves.

Next time I'm going to try marinated pork belly with Chinese white radish kimchi (the un-spicy one).

But I'm still curious about the Kogi ones, they sound TDF.

Edited by aprilmei (log)

Do these tacos differ materially from a good ssam? Perhaps they're just bigger. I made bulgogi last weekend, and topped it with the spicy spring onion salad and shredded spicy daikon. While great wrapped in red leaf lettuce, I'm sure it would work in a corn tortilla. Or a flour tortilla, which would be more my taste, I guess.