• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pepsi Throwback -- made with sugar

jsmeeker

It's a pure marketing move, economics has nothing to do with this. The amount of sugar in a 16oz bottle of Pepsi is less than 2 oz. Buying that much sugar at a grocery store costs less than 5 cents. Pepsi Throwback is a clever way to sell less pepsi for a higher price and have consumers flock to it.

PS: I am a guy.

Um, it comes in 12-packs of 12oz cans, and 20oz bottles, for the same price as the other Pepsi brand soft drinks in the store. I got much of my stash this past summer just before July 4th, when Safeway ran a sale on Pepsi products at 5 12-packs for $9.00.

Pepsi Throwback is a clever way to sell less pepsi for a higher price and have consumers flock to it.

It was the same price as regular Pepsi around here. I think it's a clever way to sell to people who normally can't stand (and don't buy) mass-market HFCS soda, by offering a product they might actually like.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

• 4 weeks later...

When I saw the commercial for Pepsi Throwback during a football game last Saturday, I immediately ran out and went looking for it. LOL I found it after going to 3 grocery stores. Vons was the only one that had it, man when I opened it up and drank that can, I was in heaven. I absolutely love this soda, I hope they put it back on the market for good as for now I'm gonna buy as much of it as I can LOL

It is good -has anyone tried the Dr.Pepper Heritage? Same thing-with sugar. I'm stocking up on the Pepsi- bet some rum with it will be wonderful. :)

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

Yes! The Dr. Pepper Heritage is what we call 'Dublin Dr. Pepper', as it formerly could only be found in the distribution area of the Dublin, TX Dr. Pepper plant (about a 44-mile radius in the middle of Nowhere, TX).

Anyway, we used to make road trips in college to Hico just to get cases of the stuff. Say what you will about it, but it tastes worlds better to me. I'm actually a little upset they're selling it mass-market style. I kind of enjoyed being a snobby Dr. Pepper elitist. I guess now if everyone likes it, I'll have to find something else :)

When Pepsi says that these products are made with "sugar," they do not mean pure cane sugar. They are using a blend of cane sugar and beet sugar in the Heritage and Throwback products.

Well if they are trying to attract customers from among the non-soda-drinking-ranks, it's a good move. The only mainstream soda I'll drink is Mexican Coke, so I'll be happy to give the Pepsi a try.

Compared to regular Coke, I always think that the Coke made with sugar tastes brighter, almost like it has a bit of lime flavor. And compared to regular Coke, I always think regular Pepsi tastes more lemony. So I would expect sugar Pepsi to taste brightest of all. It will be interesting to see.

When Pepsi says that these products are made with "sugar," they do not mean pure cane sugar. They are using a blend of cane sugar and beet sugar in the Heritage and Throwback products.

Sugar is sugar, regardless of the source.

I've seen the throwback stuff around here (Atlanta). It's priced the same as the other Pepsi products: three 12-packs for $10.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I haven't been able to find it in the Dallas area. Slightly odd considering DP is a Texas creation and that DP was once headquartered here. Of course, I CAN find the Dublin Dr. Pepper. That's always around and not some limited time special. :)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"