• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pepsi Throwback -- made with sugar

jsmeeker

Pepsi is introducing a new line of products, adding the name "Throwback" to the name of popular brands such as their flagship cola and the popular "Mountain Dew". No HFCS here. It's made with actual sugar. Just like it was when you were a kid.

So, what's behind this? Rising corn prices? Going "retro" I am not sure if it will be priced like the standard (i.e. with HFCS) version or priced like a premium version. Will others (Coca-Cola) follow suit?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Pepsi is introducing a new line of products, adding the name "Throwback" to the name of popular brands such as their flagship cola and the popular "Mountain Dew".  No HFCS here. It's made with actual sugar. Just like it was when you were a kid.

So, what's behind this? Rising corn prices?  Going "retro"  I am not sure if it will be priced like the standard (i.e. with HFCS) version or priced like a premium version.  Will others (Coca-Cola) follow suit?

I'd venture to guess that Coca-Cola won't go retro, because Coca-Cola with sugar rather than HFCS is already available here in the US, albeit on a somewhat limited basis.

Cheryl

Good grief I hope this becomes a trend! I went all over stupid tinytown and the vicinity last week looking for ginger ale made with suagr- I had a craving and nausea and I would have paid dearly- I couldn't find ANY! I ended up with a coffee soda- definitely not the same animal.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

There was a fairly recent and small study of products containing HFCS. Of the products tested, 1/3 of them contained mercury, as some kind of by-product of the making of the HFCS.

http://www.ehjournal.net/

Maybe that spurred it?

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

So, what's behind this?

Perhaps it's an attempt to appeal to the purists/foodies who aren't fans of the HFCS versions.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

There was a fairly recent and small study of products containing HFCS. Of the products tested, 1/3 of them contained mercury, as some kind of by-product of the making of the HFCS.  . . . Maybe that spurred it?

That was my first thought, too.

Tom, thanks! I am going to finish up my bottle of seltzer and attempt to make gingerale this week! I'm so excited!

And, Chad- I went to the only Walgreen's in the vicinity last night(I live in CVS land, feh!). They had NO sodas with sugar, the Walgreen's brand had hfcs.

Maybe the sugar is a regional quality- I'm in NJ. Which I do like. But I'm extremely homesick. (Miami Beach)

I am going to look for a gingerale thread, actually.

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Pepsi is introducing a new line of products, adding the name "Throwback" to the name of popular brands such as their flagship cola and the popular "Mountain Dew".  No HFCS here. It's made with actual sugar. Just like it was when you were a kid.

So, what's behind this? Rising corn prices?  Going "retro"   I am not sure if it will be priced like the standard (i.e. with HFCS) version or priced like a premium version.   Will others (Coca-Cola) follow suit?

There have been studies showing that HFC is metabolized differently than cane sugar. HERE's a link to some recent information.

I was able to try Pepsi Throwback today. I really liked it.

It's a bit difficult to quantify, but it seemed more like a 'treat' than the current regular Pepsi with HFC. (which I drink on occasion) I bought a 20 oz plastic bottle at a local Circle K store, the price was $1.65 as opposed to $1 for the regular Pepsi. I will probably buy more, I really liked it.

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)

Sorry for the double post, but I just tried Mountain Dew Throwback. I liked it but it is a really different formula.

The original Dew contained orange juice, this new one does not. The new Dew is also sweeter than the regular kind with HFS on the market right now. That said, I thought I noticed a change in the past couple of months where the regular became more acidic, at least from the bottler her in Phoenix.

I like to mix Mountain Dew with shots of flavored syrups like Torani and Monin, with lots of ice. The Throwback Mountain Dew mixes nicely with the few fruit flavors I have tested so far. It is a bit less acidic, but the overall better flavor makes up for a slightly different sweet/sour balance.

BTW, for those in the Western US, Albertson's has these on sale this week for $.99 for a 20oz bottle.

It might be a reaction to the expansion of Mexican sodas into the U.S., I can buy Coke, Pepsi and Sprite (I think) at most stores here.

Stupid me, the mandated switch to ethanol as the only fuel additive boosted the cost of corn syrup. Sugar is now less expensive to use in soda and the craft soda companies are fueling the consumer demand for sugar sweetened drinks. As always, follow the money.

I'm having a very hard time finding this in the Dallas area. About the only "regular" grocery store I shop at is Tom Thumb. The one near my home doesn't seem to carry it. Most of the rest of my shopping is done at Central Market and Whole Foods. They don't carry it. I DID see a few cases of the Mountain Dew Throwback at a Super Taget. But I really wante the Pepsi.

Oh, and this seems to be a limited time thing. It's not supposed to be a permanent addition to the product line. So, I guess this really isn't the start of a trend.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I'm having a very hard time finding this in the Dallas area.  About the only "regular" grocery store I shop at is Tom Thumb. The one near my home doesn't seem to carry it.  Most of the rest of my shopping is done at Central Market and Whole Foods.  They don't carry it.  I DID see a few cases of the Mountain Dew Throwback at a Super Taget. But I really wanted the Pepsi.

Oh, and this seems to be a limited time thing. It's not supposed to be a permanent addition to the product line. So, I guess this really isn't the start of a trend.

It's 8 weeks only, and week one was the third week of April, IIRC. I have seen reports of Targets and KMarts carrying it, but I have not seen any here in Phoenix. (except a few 20oz bottles of the Pepsi in the front coolers of one Target)

Safeway stores have it, as do some WalMarts. I just got 5 12-packs of the Pepsi at a Safeway.

The company has real live people taking and responding to comments on Twitter:

@Mtn_Dew

@Pepsi

They are also encouraging people to tweet locations where they found Throwback, some posts at Pepsi's Twitter Page may be helpful to you.

They are hinting that if this test goes well, these drinks may return next year.

Good luck! I am officially stockpiling!

There have been studies showing that HFC is metabolized differently than cane sugar. HERE's a link to some recent information.

Just to clear things up, that study is about the metabolism of straight fructose, not HFCS. Sucrose, good old refined sugar, once broken up by stomach acids and enyzmes, is 50% glucose and 50% fructose. HFCS, as used in sodas, is 45% glucose and 55% fructose - not much of a difference. HFCS used in processed foods has even less fructose, 42% fructose and 58% glucose. The "high fructose" part refers to the relative amount of fructose compared to standard corn syrup, which is almost entirely glucose.

Yes, there are problems with ingesting too much fructose. But you'll have those problems whether you're drinking soda with HFCS or with real sugar.

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

So, what's behind this? Rising corn prices?

My family has several sugar cane farmers, and they seem to agree with this theory.

My family also has several sugar cane farmers (or at least people who own the farms), and if rising corn prices is causing an increase in the demand for sugar from sugar cane, they aren't seeing the benefits.

This year was one of the worst for sugar prices and demand.

I just saw a Snapple commercial that touted that they were jumping on the sugar throwback bandwagon for their entire line.

Could the anti-HFCS revolution be at hand? :biggrin:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Mexican coke -- made with sugar -- has been gaining in popularity for a while now. I first saw it at specialty shops, like Sprinkles Cupcakes. Now, I see it everywhere, even Costco. I think it tastes better, but that may be because it comes in a glass bottle.

• 6 months later...

For those who haven't tried it and have any interest in cola at all, I strongly recommend checking it out. The Pepsi is surprisingly good stuff, quite different (in a very good way) from their regular product.

I very much wish Coke would do a similar run of their 1970s formula for those of us who can't get Mexican Coke.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger