• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adding sugar to wine?

Starkman

If you can't drink the whole bottle, transfer the remainder to a clean empty half bottle (375ml) and recork it. Or even a well cleaned and rinsed out Snapple bottle with the screw cap functions well for keeping left over wine. Limiting the amount of oxygen that the wine comes into contact with should be the most helpful in making it last longer. Refrigerating it helps too, just let the reds come to a cool room temperature before you drink them. Storing them upside down so the air pocket is at the closed end of the container helps too. I'd rather do any of that than add sugar.

Mostly, just drink as soon as you're able. Oxygen is the enemy of opened wine...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Storing them upside down so the air pocket is at the closed end of the container helps too.

Ah, yes, a smaller bottle, Katie. I forgot about that. However, I'm perplexed about your statement. Storing the bottle upside down (I'm assuming you mean storing the bottle on its lid) would put the air pocket at the base of the bottle, not the closed end. Did I misunderstand you?

Thanks,

Starkman

Storing them upside down so the air pocket is at the closed end of the container helps too.

Ah, yes, a smaller bottle, Katie. I forgot about that. However, I'm perplexed about your statement. Storing the bottle upside down (I'm assuming you mean storing the bottle on its lid) would put the air pocket at the base of the bottle, not the closed end. Did I misunderstand you?

Thanks,

Starkman

Yes - air pocket at the base where there are no miniscule cracks or porous cork for yet more oxygen exchange to take place. Works pretty well in the door of the fridge, or propped up with other groceries. Not a perfect solution, but extends life by a day or so. Hopefully "leftover" wine doesn't lay around any longer than that. If it will, best to freeze and use for sauces, I'd think.

Really, the solution is to always keep wine in the smallest container that will hold the volume with the least amount of air in the bottle, just like an unopened bottle.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Yes - air pocket at the base where there are no miniscule cracks or porous cork for yet more oxygen exchange to take place.  Works pretty well in the door of the fridge, or propped up with other groceries.  Not a perfect solution, but extends life by a day or so.  Hopefully "leftover" wine doesn't lay around any longer than that.  If it will, best to freeze and use for sauces, I'd think.

Really, the solution is to always keep wine in the smallest container that will hold the volume with the least amount of air in the bottle, just like an unopened bottle.

Thanks for the info.

Starkman