• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Manor-Tuesday Night is BYO

viejomajadero

On Tuesday the 17th my wife and I had dinner at the Manor in the Ala Carte area.

Tuesday is special as they allow wine to be brought in (no corkage) and, as it turns out, they have a very respectable list of wines at half price. We were really enjoying the old world charm and the piano music when I realized this would be a great choice for one of my Boys Night Out dinners.

I spoke to the Maitre d' about such and asked if we could use the side room so as not to disturb the diners and the piano player. I discussed the wines I intended to bring but felt the menu would not accomodate the wines. In walked the Chef Mitchell Altholz (formerly Chef owner of Jocelyne's of Maplewood.) He came to my table and I told him I was having a group of six men scheduled for dinner and was bringing a vertical of Chateau Neuf Du Pape - Beaucastel. The years were 1988, 1989, 1990, 1993, 1994, and 1995. He said he would put together a special menu for the wine selection.

We stepped out of the limo at 7:00 PM and were escourted to a dining area just behind the main dining room. Set up on a table were six carafes each noted with a year to match the wines. Our table was set up with six wine glasses across the top of each setting. The wines were expertly decanted over a lit candle and served to each of us oldest to newest right to left.

Chef Altholz had printed menus at each setting.

First Course---Country Game Pate', Cumberland Sauce and Celery Root.

Second Course---Rabbit Crepinette, Sunchoke and Truffle Salad, Black Garlic Sauce.

Third Course---Squab with Sauteed Foie Gras, Napa Cabbage, Smoked Bacon, Black Truffle Sauce.

Fourth Course---Dijon Crusted Rack of Lamb, Baby Vegetables, Potato Gratin, Rosemary Jus.

Chef Altholz came to the table and personally went through each dish as served.

We finished with a cheese platter and dessert.

Everything was perfect. Wine, food, atmosphere. And --- the table service was impeccable. Three hours of attention detail!!

I cannot say enough about this evening. As we were leaving the General Manager came over and thanked us. He hoped we would spread the word.

This is a BYO worth exploring.

Viejo

"A dry crust of bread eaten in peace and quiet is better than a feast eaten where everyone argues" Proverbs (17:1).

And it came to ???

Ah, and it came to an end too soon!!!

Viejo

While your answer is a cute one, for those of us who would consider doing the same type of event, a ballpark dollar amount of what was spent would be appreciated.

http:/www.etuinc.com

Hi

Six courses including tip cost each of us under $100 (low $90's). Of course it cost me a lot more since I supplied the wine. But that is what I wanted this to be about. Great food. They do have a menu!!! And BYO!!!! Impecable service. Wonderful old world, civilized charm.

For me this was a much better dining experience than my recent visits to Panache and David Dreck.

Viejo

"A dry crust of bread eaten in peace and quiet is better than a feast eaten where everyone argues" Proverbs (17:1).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...