• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seder Recipe Help

GlorifiedRice

Hi, a friend needs help with a Seder Recipe, any clue what shes looking for here?

I am looking for a recipe for something that was served to me during Seder about 5 years ago. The ladies I was with told me I didn't want to know what was in it traditionally and that they used the vegetarian pre-made version. It was like a mushed up roll of veggie something that was partially fried and it tasted SOOO good.

I know this is vague, but does anyone who is more familiar with Seder than I am know what it was? It wasn't used in the ceremony of Seder itself, but rather as part of the main dish. It was not a sweet, it was more savory.

Later she added

It was similar to latkes but it wasn't fried. I think it had squash or sweet potatoes in it. The ladies I spoke with said the "premade stuff" came in a tube.

Any help is appreciated...

TYVM

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Sounds like Kishke. The ladies are right- you don't want to know what's in the traditional version (various meat innards ground and processed and stuffed into beef, lamb or sheep casing), then fried. Makes sense that a vegetarian version would have sweet potato.

Suggest that your friend Google "kishke". Good luck!

Edited by NancyH (log)

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

I'll second (and third) kishke as your answer. I've never had either the real or vegetarian version, but I remember taking a Passover shopping trip with my junior year roommate where she bought the vegetarian version. And yeah, it came frozen, in a tube like cookie dough or that pre-made polenta.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Here's a recipe for vegetarian kishke:

http://www.manischewitz.com/recipes/index....ka&ref=mrecipes

It's much better than it sounds. But here's how to make it wonderful... Once it's baked, leave it in the foil, and let cool. Refrigerate until firm (several hours or overnight). Remove from foil, and this is the important part -- brown it on all sides -- either under the broiler, or (better) in oil in a frying pan. If you don't do this, it will be pale and unappetising. If you do do this, it will have a crunchy, brown, greasy, yummy crust.

You can usually find Kosher for Passover TamTams, but last year they were unavailable. :shock:

Edited by Channie (log)

Some of the pre-made stuff just needs to be sliced and fried or baked. We sell a couple of different brands -- I think we'll have Unger's for Passover this year.

We also made it when I was younger . . one or twice maybe. That was interesting.

If you're looking for vegetarian, make sure you check the label. Some of them contain beef fat. Look for a pareve mark on the package.