• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant suggestions in Arlington

Artichoke

The easy go-to is Ray's the Steaks, just opened in its new location. If you like steak (and red wine). As for casual -- the (im)proprietor has been known oversee his operation in flip-flops, a Hawaiian shirt and several days worth of stubble.

Any further guidance? Where are you located, how much do you want to travel, what do you have a taste for? Georgetown, Alexandria, Falls Church (Vietnamese ground zero) are all "around Arlington."

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

There are several good restaurants, and based on your questions, I'm assuming you don't wish "chain" restaurants.

The Alpine Inn used to be very good - haven't been there in a few years.

Sarris Orleans House has a reputation, but the last time I was there, I thought the quality of the food had gone down and wasn't what it once was

Red, Hot and Blue actually started in the Metro DC area, (sop even if it's a chain, it is a local chain) there is one in Arlington on Wilson Blvd. (My BBQ is much better though - no brag, just fact)

Head on over to Mt. Vernon Ave, there are lots of wonderful locally owned places along there - and there is a cheese shop to die for

Sarris Orleans House has a reputation, but the last time I was there, I thought the quality of the food had gone down and wasn't what it once was

The food is certainly not what it once was, as the Orleans House closed over a year ago. It has been torn down.

There are lots of choices in Arlington, from Vietnamese (e.g., Minh's) to steak/hamburgers (e.g., Ray's the Steaks/Ray's Butcher Burgers-Hell Burgers) to central Asian (Cafe Assorti) to Thai (Thai Square). Not much, if any, decent Chinese in Arlington itself.