• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pretzel ice cream

Bruce Burger

I want to make pretzel ice cream like I had at Momofuku Ko. Elsewhere on the web I find that WD-50 recommends using Snyder's pretzels, so that's a start. Unfortunately I can't remember the texture of the ice cream I had, just that I loved it. How finely should I crush the pretzels? Should I steep them in the milk/cream mixture, add them at the start of churning, or add them at the end of churning? Should I add anything else to a standard sweet cream base? Any other suggestions?

Edited by Bruce Burger (log)

Are the pretzels a discernable texture or just a flavor component? If the texture is smooth ice cream but the flavor is pretzel you can probably just puree them in. Alex and Aki posted a recipe on Ideas in Food for a Ritz Cracker Ice Cream that is amazing. I'm sure it would work with pretzels just as well because I've used it with other items (ice cream cones for example) and it tastes like whatever flavor item you decide to use. If there is an actual texture provided by the pretzels you would want to mix them in at the end of churning before hardening.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thanks, Tri2Cook! Now I want to try the Ritz Cracker Ice Cream as well. I'm pretty sure the Pretzel Ice Cream I had was smooth, so pureeing seems to be the way to go. I'll experiment with/without the sour cream and eggs and report back on my findings.