• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner in Smithfield or thereabouts

rjs1

I have been invited to dinner next Thursday by a very old friend whom I have not seen for some years as he has been working abroad. He is out of touch with the London restaurant scene and has asked me to book somewhere good - quality of food and wine much more important than the fripperies.

He is a partner in a City law firm, so it doesn't need to be at credit-crunch prices, but at the same time I don't want to suggest anywhere too outrageously expensive. He mentioned Pied a Terre, where we both used to go a lot in Richard Neat/Tom Aitkens days, but I think that would be OTT price-wise at dinner.

He will be staying in Smithfield but is happy to go anywhere in central London. I live in Little Venice, but am also happy to go anywhere in central London.

I would like to try somewhere I haven't tried before. Nowhere too loud, as we have lots of catching up to do.

My most recent noteworthy meals have been at Dehasa, Maze, Patterson's, Salt Yard, Texture, Theo Randall at the InterContinental and Vinoteca.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

I have been invited to dinner next Thursday by a very old friend whom I have not seen for some years as he has been working abroad.  He is out of touch with the London restaurant scene and has asked me to book somewhere good -  quality of food and wine much more important than the fripperies. 

He is a partner in a City law firm, so it doesn't need to be at credit-crunch prices, but at the same time I don't want to suggest anywhere too outrageously expensive.  He mentioned Pied a Terre, where we both used to go a lot in Richard Neat/Tom Aitkens days, but I think that would be OTT price-wise at dinner. 

He will be staying in Smithfield but is happy to go anywhere in central London.  I live in Little Venice, but am also happy to go anywhere in central London.

I would like to try somewhere I haven't tried before. Nowhere too loud, as we have lots of catching up to do.

My most recent noteworthy meals have been at Dehasa, Maze, Patterson's, Salt Yard, Texture, Theo Randall at the InterContinental and Vinoteca.

You could try Corrigans jn Mayfair.

Don't be put off by the expensive location!

This is top notch dining at user friendly prices.

When we went in January I had the most expensive dish on the menu.Widgeon,when in feather a very pretty little duck,on the plate,as nice a tasting piece of game you will eat.

This cost all of £26,you can eat a main course for as little as £12 if my memory serves me right.

Expect lots of game on the menu and strong flavours Mr Corrigan does not

do bland.

There is a good choice of seating including an overspill dining area if they are extremely busy.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

I have been invited to dinner next Thursday by a very old friend whom I have not seen for some years as he has been working abroad.  He is out of touch with the London restaurant scene and has asked me to book somewhere good -   quality of food and wine much more important than the fripperies. 

He is a partner in a City law firm, so it doesn't need to be at credit-crunch prices, but at the same time I don't want to suggest anywhere too outrageously expensive.  He mentioned Pied a Terre, where we both used to go a lot in Richard Neat/Tom Aitkens days, but I think that would be OTT price-wise at dinner. 

He will be staying in Smithfield but is happy to go anywhere in central London.  I live in Little Venice, but am also happy to go anywhere in central London.

When we went in January I had the most expensive dish on the menu.Widgeon,when in feather a very pretty little duck,on the plate,as nice a tasting piece of game you will eat.

This cost all of £26,you can eat a main course for as little as £12 if my memory serves me right.

do bland.

There is a good choice of seating including an overspill dining area if they are extremely busy.

Many thanks.

I went to look at the menus in the windows at St John and at Club Gascon, but wasn't particularly excited by either.

Corrigans sounds good, but my host wants something with the kind of culinary fireworks Pied a Terre used to have in the 1990s, and I want somewhere where I know at least one member of the team FOH or in the kitchen, so I think we are now chosing between Maze and Texture. Any views?

One thought is that at my advanced age I don't want to eat to the beat of bad loud music, which marred the only occasion that I have ever been to Maze in the evening rather than lunchtime.

I have been invited to dinner next Thursday by a very old friend whom I have not seen for some years as he has been working abroad.  He is out of touch with the London restaurant scene and has asked me to book somewhere good -   quality of food and wine much more important than the fripperies. 

do bland.

Many thanks.

I went to look at the menus in the windows at St John and at Club Gascon, but wasn't particularly excited by either.

Corrigans sounds good, but my host wants something with the kind of culinary fireworks Pied a Terre used to have in the 1990s, and I want somewhere where I know at least one member of the team FOH or in the kitchen, so I think we are now chosing between Maze and Texture. Any views?

One thought is that at my advanced age I don't want to eat to the beat of bad loud music, which marred the only occasion that I have ever been to Maze in the evening rather than lunchtime.

Not been to Texture,although its had decent reviews.

My one and only visit to Maze was very disappointing!

We had the four course lunch at £28 .The portions were,minuscule.

The waitress seated us at a very poor table,right near the back,up the flight of stairs, when other far nicer tables were available.

They kindly reseated us in a far better spot with some cajoling.

Not the best start and it went downhill quickly.

This lunch was the worst we have had in London.

Jason Atherton was in the kitchen ,and to his very good credit produced two dishes foc ,to prove what he is capable of.

However that said the Table d hote menu should not be an afterthough it should be carefully considered before being offered.

Moving on,it is always difficult to recommend,as I worry that people may not agree with my choice.

That said,perhaps my best meal last year was at Foliage.

Most people who have dined here seem to have thoroughly enjoyed the very fine cooking of Chris Staines,a fairly low profile Chef who lets his cooking do the talking!

Hope this is of help.

Edited by david goodfellow (log)

@d_goodfellow1

do bland.

Many thanks.

The waitress seated us at a very poor table,right near the back,up the flight of stairs, when other far nicer tables were available.

Jason Atherton was in the kitchen ,and to his very good credit produced two dishes foc ,to prove what he is capable of.

However that said the Table d hote menu should not be an afterthough it should be carefully considered before being offered.

Moving on,it is always difficult to recommend,as I worry that people may not agree with my choice.

Most people who have dined here seem to have thoroughly enjoyed the very fine cooking of Chris Staines,a fairly low profile Chef who lets his cooking do the talking!

Hope this is of help.

Chris Staines is very talented.

My only thought is that Foliage is such good value for lunch compared to dinner that I'd rather save going there for a lunchtime. Not sure that there's nearly as much price differential between lunch and dinner at Maze and at Texture as there is at Foliage.

do bland.

Many thanks.

Hope this is of help.

Chris Staines is very talented.

My only thought is that Foliage is such good value for lunch compared to dinner that I'd rather save going there for a lunchtime. Not sure that there's nearly as much price differential between lunch and dinner at Maze and at Texture as there is at Foliage.

Your right about the Foliage lunch,absolute top quality for the price £28?

@d_goodfellow1

Your right about the Foliage lunch,absolute top quality for the price £28?

They also do, or used to do, accompanying wines for about £8 to £9 a head more (not mean with the pouring, either). Do they still have that offer? If they do, I think it's up there with Aubergine for value at lunchtime.