• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cod in red wine sauce recipe?

&roid

I've just trawled through all my cookbooks (not a quick job!) and can't seem to find a recipe for this, despite my and my other half being certain that we've seen one somewhere. Does any one have any suggestions for a good recipe? Google wasn't nearly as helpful as I thought it would be :(

I've just trawled through all my cookbooks (not a quick job!) and can't seem to find a recipe for this, despite my and my other half being certain that we've seen one somewhere.  Does any one have any suggestions for a good recipe?  Google wasn't nearly as helpful as I thought it would be :(

You must have a recipe for red wine sauce, red wine glace and probably beurre rouge somewhere assuming you're the typical EGullet user? Whenever we do the classic cod + whichever red wine sauce we prefer in the restaurant we use one of these three.

The glace is a basic beef demi glace + red wine reduction + honey.

The red wine sauce is a reduction of redwine with shallots, juniper berries, pepper and laurel leaves mixed with beef stock and set up with butter.

The beurre rouge is just butter with red wine reduction (reduced with shallots).

Whenever I look for a classic recipe I usually pick one from one of the cookbooks that I trust. They are usually very good.

Edited by Tussius (log)

- Searching for inspiration and knowledge -