• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ethnic North Of the City

NYC Mike

Hi All,

I've heard Lawrenceville/Suwannee/Norcross is a treasure trove of Carribean Food hotspots but google isn't getting me there. I'm in John's Creek off Bell rd/medlock br.

Anyone know of a few gems? Curried Goat, Pernil, CocoBread, Rice and Beans? Cuban, Jamaican, Dominican, West Indian, Hatiian etc?

Thanks!

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

Hi All,

I've heard Lawrenceville/Suwannee/Norcross is a treasure trove of Carribean Food hotspots but google isn't getting me there.  I'm in John's Creek off Bell rd/medlock br.

Anyone know of a few gems?  Curried Goat, Pernil, CocoBread, Rice and Beans? Cuban, Jamaican, Dominican, West Indian, Hatiian etc?

Thanks!

-Mike

The best, in my opinion, is Mi Pilon on Buford Hwy at Mitchell Rd - about a half mile north of Jimmy Carter Blvd. The restaurant is open seven days per week from 11am-8pm serving a variety of dishes from the Dominican Republic from steam tables. Chicken, beef, goat, pork, plantains, rice, and more are almost always available.

Mi Pilon is an excellent suggestion. Around 'the corner' is Nadia's which specializes in Weat African (Liberian) food.

There is a place off of 316 in Lawrenceville - I think it's on Hurricane Shoals Road. Jamaican food, and I believe they are/used to be on restaurant.com. Can't think of the name right now though.

-Greg

I can think of 2 little holes in the wall off 316 on 120, if you turn left there is the "Jerk Shack" just past Aldi's. If you turn right there is a place on the left just past the bank of america and a chinese buffet in a little office plaza. Both are good, but I like the place next to BOA better, the chef's palate is more refined. The Jerk Shack is more of a jamaican fast food type. The owners at both are very personable.

There is also a columbian place in the same plaza on the backside. I've eaten there once, it was ok, but I asked for a lemon for my tea and got a bowl of lime wedges and $2 added to my check.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.