• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bones

nakji

I've been itching to get my hands on some bones. First, I'd like to get some beef short ribs for making Korean galbi jjim. Second, I'd like to try my hand at making some stock - but I need bones. None of the supermarkets I frequent carry bones or meat on the bone - unless you count fabulously expensive chicken wings.

Is it possible to get bones in Japan? Where do I go, and what do I ask?

I've never done that before myself, but I think that all you need to do is to go to your favorite supermarket and ask the staff at the meat section of the supermarket. They will be kind enough to give you what you want or tell you where to go to get it.

Bones here in Korea differ vastly in price. Chicken bones? Nada, but they have a lot of frozen chicken feet packages for about 2 bucks each (2 pounds per pack). Pork bones (the ones with the marrow in them) are thrown in for free if you buy pork spinal cord bones (the ones used to make Kamja Tang - Spicy Pork Potato stew). Beef shin bones are soooo EXPENSIVE with about 2 pounds costing about $20 to 30. Sometimes during the holidays, it goes up to $50 per kilo. Unbelievable.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

In my area, I can get chicken carcasses at a couple of grocery stores--Ikari and Coop. They're about Y20 per 100 grams. And the meat store at Coop (not part of Coop, but an independently owned shop) sells beef bones.

Haven't found pork bones, yet, but I bet if you go to a pork store, you'll be able to get some.

As for meat with bones, I can get spareribs anywhere, and chicken with bones (small whole chicken or a leg and thigh combo) at Ikari. I know Costco carries whole chickens, but if you don't have a Costco membership, try Ameyokocho. It's a bit far for you, probably, but they'll probably have everything you're looking for. It's that big building like a department store where they have all the Asian food places in the basement. They even have plantains there! (not meat, but hard to find)

My Ikari has beef short ribs with bones, too, but they're way too expensive for me to even look at.

I forgot, there's also Kohyo--whole chicken and leg/thigh combo, and I think they had some beef bones, too. I think they're all over Japan, but I can't find their website, so I'm not sure.

And you can always try the Meat Guy.

I still think Ameyokocho is your best bet, though.

Edited by prasantrin (log)