• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole roasted red snapper

Hard H2O

It depends on your objective. Are you faithfully trying to follow the recipe or using it as a starting point for your personal interpretation? If you are faithfully trying to follow the recipe then no. Sausages are going to be providing flavoring (in this case a spicy smokey flavor), fat and salt to the recipe which plain shrimp will not do. If you do replace the sausages with shrimp then you will need to be more aggressive with your seasoning to make up for the loss and possibly add some fat to the recipe. You will lose the smoky flavor. I'd say you can use bacon but you're trying to avoid that. Personally I would just skip the sausages and use some extra salt and pepper. I think the shrimp / fish combo is a little weird.

It depends on your objective.  Are you faithfully trying to follow the recipe or using it as a starting point for your personal interpretation?  If you are faithfully trying to follow the recipe then no.  Sausages are going to be providing flavoring (in this case a spicy smokey flavor), fat and salt to the recipe which plain shrimp will not do.  If you do replace the sausages with shrimp then you will need to be more aggressive with your seasoning to make up for the loss and possibly add some fat to the recipe.  You will lose the smoky flavor.  I'd say you can use bacon but you're trying to avoid that.  Personally I would just skip the sausages and use some extra salt and pepper.  I think the shrimp / fish combo is a little weird.

I would like to do it with the sausage but I was thinking of making it meatless for Lent. It looked like a nice starting point. It looks like something a bit more visually appetizing than our usual mac and cheese, fish sticks, grilled cheese.

I was thinking I would add some butter and bump up the herbage and seasoning. I was also thinking I would like to replace the protein of the sausage with some other seafood alternative. Maybe some carrots or parsnip type veggie would do.

I am definately going to do it with the sausage after lent.

This may sound horrid but as I recall (it has been 30 years) it was good. I used canned tuna in oil for the stuffing. It provided the strong taste and fat that sausage does, and was completely unexpected.