• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine by the glass

southern girl

The DB Bistro has a very good selection of wines by the glass as does Babbo. Babbo has a great little bar at the front of the house to enjoy, but it usually is quite busy. I f you are anything like me, go early, stay late!

"Expect nothing, be prepared for anything."

babbo do get a bit crowded, depending on what kind of gathering you're looking for.

marseille, on 9th and 44, is a popular little spot with a decent sized but intimate bar area.

guastavino, under the 59th st bridge, is a hopping spot, with some wines that aren't completely offensive.

le bateau ivre (the drunk boat?) on 51st at 2nd is smallish but has lots o french wines by the glass. as does the other french place right next to it.

morrell as suggested is always a great bet, 'specially when the tree goes up at rock center...although it gets very crowded.

babbo do get a bit crowded, depending on what kind of gathering you're looking for. 

marseille, on 9th and 44, is a popular little spot with a decent sized but intimate bar area.

guastavino, under the 59th st bridge, is a hoping spot, with some wines that aren't completely offensive.

le bateau ivre (the drunk boat?) on 51st at 2nd is smallish but has lots o french wines by the glass.  as does the other french place right next to it.

morrell as suggested is always a great bet, 'specially when the tree goes up at rock center...although it gets very crowded.

We walked by Gustavino this weekend - what a mob scene, and what a yucky crowd there - so B&T, blech. Lots of hair and cellphones.

The Bar @ Etats-Unis.

Also Enoteca I Trulli -- The tasting flights are particularly nice.

http://www.itrulli.com/enoteca.htm

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

A few more-

Either Bar Veloce- one of 2nd Ave.  near 9th street, the other on Cleveland Place

Posto Acconto-  2nd St. between A&B

all 3 are exclusively Italian wines, with have 30+ choices by the glass- excellent cheese/meat option at all 3 as well.

Cheers,

Charles

I second Bar Veloce.

Nina, do you see B&T as purely a geographic designation or do you think it's more a state of mind? Technically, it would seem to include anybody who lives in the Greater New York Metro area outside of Manhattan. But if you take Brooklyn as an example there seems to be both a B&T and non-B&T resident population there. For example you've got your Bay Ridge types with big hair (women) and gold chains (men), but you've also got your Wall Street types living in Cobble Hill.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Nina, do you see B&T as purely a geographic designation or do you think it's more a state of mind? Technically, it would seem to include anybody who lives in the Greater New York Metro area outside of Manhattan. But if you take Brooklyn as an example there seems to be both a B&T and non-B&T resident population there. For example you've got your Bay Ridge types with big hair (women) and gold chains (men), but you've also got your Wall Street types living in Cobble Hill.

Of course I mean it's a state of mind, a way of behaving, appearing, and attitude. Not so much a geography (although ALL Staten Islanders are clearly B&T) :raz:

Even at wine bars, I usually prefer to order bottles. If there are two people involved, given that a bottle yields only two good-sized glasses apiece anyway, it makes sense.

It's good. You can get the whole restaurant menu there if you want, they have a limited-choice three-course thing for $25, and there's a nice selection of salume and such.

matt, the only time i've been to artisinal (after which i decided it might be the last for a while, save for the $20 brunch), two of the wines i ordered by the glass were oxidized......so they're not checking/tasting before they pour their 75 different wines or so by the glass "every night"....

besides, i agree with FG: order by the bottle!!!!!!! especially the half-bottle, if they've got them (3 glasses--you can't go wrong with a good list). :rolleyes:

I find it surprising that no one's mentioned Artisanal yet.

I'm surprised it took you so long to mention Artisanal! :laugh:

I'm also surprised nobody has mentioned the Grand Central Oyster Bar, which has a pretty darn big by-the-glass selection. :raz: