• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DiningIn

brescd01

I tried DiningIn last night for the first time with my wife and a girlfriend for Lee How Fook. It was expensive (about $30/person) but we were pleasantly surprised. The food was delivered about .5 hrs ahead of promised time. It was immaculately packed and labelled and the food was good. The pan fried dumplings were wildly overcooked, the mao po tofu was mediocre, but everything else was at least good and it was a semblance of the "Chinatown" style.

So, I start this thread to ask, which restaurants work well in the DiningIn service and which don't? I imagine that certain foods travel well and others don't. Some restaurants must do a better job than others to justify such high prices (unless my food was expensive because Lee How Fook is expensive, I don't know because I have never been to that restaurant in person).

Buca di Beppo for one, as I stated in the thread on ordering in. Having a steam table hot pan of microwaveable spaghetti and meat sauce takes away the "what's for dinner pressure" when I'm out of everything else. I can get 4 to 5 meals out of a single order and it is no worse than what was sold on spaghetti night at the University Halls student cafeteria.

Tinto is the total opposite of Buca di Beppo when it comes to portion size. And price. But my order was delicious, the presentation was beautiful. Best for me, the short rib sandwich.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter