• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chicken teriyaki cooking method

jrcrunch

how do you cook your chicken teriyaki?

here's my version

I marinate the chicken overnight overnight with teriyaki sauce, fry the skin part in cooking oil (med heat) and fry the rest in low heat. I pour the excess marinade over the cooked chicken and steam in med heat.

am i doin it right? :unsure:

it taste quite ok but i want to perfect my cooking

I grill mine or broil if the weather doesn't permit grilling. I've also used an indoor stove top grill and that works well. The sauce I make extra of and reduce prior to cooking. About 5-10 minutes prior to the chicken being done I brush this reserved reduced sauce over the chicken.

I don't marinate the chicken, and I usually cut the chicken into small pieces before pan-frying.

Some people do marinate the chicken, but as far as I know, professionals don't marinate it.

The book, "Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art", has a recipe for chiecken teriyaki on page 201. In that recipe, the chicken is not marinated, either.

I prefer the non-marinated version.

I use boneless chicken thighs making sure they are of equal thickness all over. I heat oil over a fairly high heat and cook skin side down until it gets nice and crispy. Then I flip them over and lower the heat until medium and let them cook through. Right at the end of cooking I add the teriyaki sauce and while it is thickening I flip the pieces a couple times so they are coated. This last part takes just a minute, so don't walk away!

I then let the pieces rest on a cutting board for a couple minutes to let the juices redistribute before I cut it into strips for easy eating. After placing them on a plate I pour the leftover sauce from the pan on top.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 weeks later...

@stealw

wat i done is perfectly safe. i steam it for 10 mins.. no aches so far! but it takes too long to do it.

@hiroyuki

already bought tsuji's book! very informative!

@torakris

correct me if im wrong.

1. do you add the teriyaki sauce over the chicken and oil durng the frying process?

2. leftover sauce? the teriyaki sauce left from the pan? so oil is mixed with sauce right? so how much oil do you use lets say 1 lbs of chicken thighs? im just afraid of not using the right amount of oil-- could be too much or not enough

thanks!!!

Edited by jrcrunch (log)

I cook the chicken in a moderate amount of oil (2 to 3 tablespoons) and wipe it out of the pan with paper towels just before adding the sauce. I add the sauce for the last minute or two of cooking and let it bubble until slightly thickened. There is usually a couple tablespoons left in the pan.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"