• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Konnyaku Powder

GlorifiedRice

Hi, Now that I have a place to order stuff from Japanese online stores, can anyone help me find a Japanese Online store that sells Red Man Konnyaku Powder or any other brand of Konnyaku Powder that DOES NOT CONTAIN SUGAR in the mix?

Thank VERY VERY much in advance

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I think you may be better off buying non-Japanese brands if your main aim is to make jelly. Red Man is not a Japanese brand.

I use a product by Kanten-papa called "Ina-aga A", but that produces a gelatin-like texture that sets at room temperature, not a chewy kanten jelly texture.

Plain konnyaku starch is not that easy to buy even in Japan, and rather expensive because it's a popular diet aid. I don't know about other areas of Japan, but I don't think I could get it in just any supermarket where I live. People buy it from sites like konnyaku-mura (e.g. you can buy 10-count boxes of 50 gram sachets, totalling about 1 lb of konnyaku powder for about $US25), but they don't have an English website, and I don't know how widely they distribute their products elsewhere.

People don't usually make dessert konnyaku jellies at home, they use the powder as a low-calorie bulking agent, or they make the ultra-chewy kneaded-style gel that is used for noodles or the grayish slabs of konnyaku.