• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ippudo! Anything like it in Chicago?

newbie21

I would love it if someone comes up with something.

For pork katsu the place used to be Takkatsu in Arlington Heights, but it closed. You can get OK noodles at a lot of places, but if there is one that people rave about, I've missed it.

Ippudo is a ramen chain in Japan which also has a place in NY.

Tonkotsu and tonkatsu are not the same thing.

Thanks; I hope I have it right. I'm searching for the noodle bowl that has a dark, rich broth and straight ramen noodles. The one at Ippudo is the best I've ever had, with thin slices of Berkshire pork. I request it with a hard-boiled egg in it as well. The last 2 times I was in NY I went 2 out of 3 days and 3 out of 5 days; it is that good!

Over on LTH, Cocoro and Ginza were just recommended for ramen:

Cocoro

668 N Wells St

(between Erie St & Huron St)

Chicago, IL 60610

(312) 943-2220

Ginza Japanese Restaurant

19 E Ohio St

(between State St & Wabash Ave)

Chicago, IL 60611

(312) 222-0600

Edited by jesteinf (log)

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

Cocoro

668 N Wells St

Chicago, IL 60610

(312) 943-2220

19 E Ohio St

Chicago, IL 60611

(312) 222-0600

Thanks! I'd just read about Ginza and planned on trying that this week!

So I tried the Ramen at Ginza yesterday. Meh...I won't go back. It wasn't that it was that bad, it's just that I've been spoiled by Ippudo. The noodles were not house made and a bit thick for my taste. The broth was weak. The pork was good. I will try the other recommendation soon.

Edited by newbie21 (log)

If you are looking for traditional Japanese ramen, then I would highly suggest going to Mitsuwa grocery store in Arlington Heights. In the food court is a ramen only restaurant, Santouka. They have a wide variety of ramens, with various bases and ingredients.

If you go there for lunch on a weekend, be prepared to wait. This is the busiest restaurant in the court and everything is made to order. Don't know how it compares to Ippudo, as I have not been there.

Mitsuwa Marketplace

100 E Algonquin Rd

Arlington Heights IL 60005-4618

(847) 956-6699

Store: Sun-Sat: 0900-2000

Restaurants: Sun-Sat: 1100-1930

Cocoro

668 N Wells St

Chicago, IL 60610

(312) 943-2220

19 E Ohio St

Chicago, IL 60611

(312) 222-0600

Really? Link please (sorry Josh, too lazy).

If you are looking for traditional Japanese ramen, then I would highly suggest going to Mitsuwa grocery store in Arlington Heights. In the food court is a ramen only restaurant, Santouka. They have a wide variety of ramens, with various bases and ingredients.

If you go there for lunch on a weekend, be prepared to wait. This is the busiest restaurant in the court and everything is made to order. Don't know how it compares to Ippudo, as I have not been there.

Mitsuwa Marketplace

100 E Algonquin Rd

Arlington Heights IL 60005-4618

(847) 956-6699

Store: Sun-Sat: 0900-2000

Restaurants: Sun-Sat: 1100-1930

Thanks; I sold my car and don't get out to Arlington Heights much, but I do appreciate the recommendation!

So I went to Urban Belly yesterday and tried the ramen. I was new to the pho broth; I liked it, didn't love it. It had a tiny bit of sweetness to it. The pork belly was ample and yummy, and the noodles were pretty good. It's great to have in my neighborhood and I'll go back for more, although it's dangerously close to Kuma's AND Hot Doug's.