• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savory Marshmallows

gfron1

MikeJ - some people must live under rocks :raz: (joking of course)

Alright, done. Two versions of this silly little game.

Traditional Salmon Marshmallow

gallery_41282_4652_19098.jpg

I used palm sugar instead of white, and maple syrup instead of vanilla. This was very very good, and great with the hot chocolate.

Savory Salmon Marshmallow

gallery_41282_4652_28028.jpg

I think you can see the textural differences in the pics. Thanks to mkayahara for the recipe base from el Bulli.

500g Milk

18g Gelatin leaf, softened

40g Salmon oil

I took a chunk of dry style smoked salmon - a good oily piece, and heated it in the 40g of canola oil. Once warm, I covered and let steep off the heat for an hour. Next I chilled 400g milk until almost frozen. I then added the softened gelatin to the remaining 100g milk and heated in a sauce pan over low flame. In my mixer, I then whipped the gelatin milk mixture for 30 seconds, then added all of the cold milk at once, whipping for another 3 minutes. At the end of the 3 minutes, I poured the oil, which I had strained out the salmon chunks and chilled slightly. Another 30 seconds of whipping and then spread, chilled and cut. If I re-did this, I would probably try a vacuum infusion of the salmon and let it sit for a good long time as the savory version was not intense enough for my liking.

The hot chocolate was a 72% Guittard couveture melted in boiling water (I didn't want a dairy taste in the drink) until it was a thick water drink. I seasoned with a hint of cinnamon, clove and stirred with a lavender branch. The drink was outstanding by itself and was inspired by Kakawa in Sante Fe.

Very cool Rob. I sat this round out. Not due to the flavor pairing, which I'm fine with, but because I just didn't get around to it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Apples and Oranges. I like the traditional version because it was sweet and I'm a sweetaholic. The savory version had no sweetness at all, and my chocolate had no added sugar beyond the 73% chocolate. So naturally I didn't like it as well.

However, what was important to me was the texture of the savory marshmallow. At one point I dropped a cube of the savory and it bounced while holding its shape. That's good. If I had added one more sheet of gelatin, that would haven't firmed things up a bit more which would have come even closer to traditional marshmallow texture. I also considered framing up inside of a vacuum bag to compress the marshmallow more since the savory version is a bit looser than a traditional one. I wasn't really going for the "fooled ya" approach here so I didn't bother, but definitely some strategies to consider.

• 1 year later...