• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hung Lu vs Shaoxing

bobmac

I have used Hung Lu for a long time (my instructor was a fan of Oriental Mascot brand) , but recently notice recipes specifying Shaoxing. Does it matter?

Also, does anyone know a mail-order source for Sichuan pickled vegetables? My local Asian market never seems to have them. If I make my own do they keep indefintely?

Edited by bobmac (log)

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

I have used Hung Lu for a long time (my instructor was a fan of Oriental Mascot brand) , but recently notice recipes specifying Shaoxing. Does it matter?

Also, does anyone know a mail-order source for Sichuan pickled vegetables? My local Asian market never seems to have them. If I make my own do they keep indefintely?

Hmmm -- some of the on-line stores I used to have bookmarked, are now gone. How about this one?

http://www.goldencountry.com/china.aspx

Look down to the 6th row of products. I have found the canned pickled vegetable just as good as th ones that use to be in the big open tubs in Chinese stores --- or that you use to find in Chineese grocery stores.

Anyone