• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Peanut Butter Pie recipe

gfron1

Ravenshadow's recipe was the trick I needed. That recipe is not exactly what I was going for, but it shifted me into thinking about pudding and pastry cream. I basically made a peanut butter pastry cream, folded in a touch of whipped cream and poppa had his baby! I scarfed two cups of filling and then filled the shells with the rest - it was that good.

gallery_41282_4652_221935.jpg

(just ignore my ugly crust)

It never stops being fun, having a flavor/texture in your head and then finding a way to make it happen, does it?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Chris- its Pierre Herme's crust from the Choc Desserts book. You can see I wasn't as interested in the crust as the filling, hence the ugliness.

And Ravenshadow -really, it was a great leap that you provided me. I'll probably keep playing but I can die happy with this version.

Tonight I made this recipe again - cut the powdered sugar in half - and liked it even more. Also, I went with a plain crust instead of chocolate and worked in some biodynamic grape must for a play on PBJ. And again, I squirted about 2 cups of the filling from the bag into my mouth. I really like this recipe...a lot.

I had the rare opportunity to go out for a meal today and guess what they had as their dessert special!? - Peanut Butter Pie!

I wasn't all that impressed, but it was an interesting variation because it was a baked custard - sort of the texture of a sweet potato or pumpkin pie.

• 2 years later...

My confectionery partner, birthday Barbara, has this thing about Peanut Butter Pie. Two years ago I downloaded a bunch of recipes and made her the one with the most peanut butter: from Canadian Living. . My note to myself was that I found the filling 'boring' using plan peanut butter (no salt, no sugar, unspecified natural brand). Apparently everyone else liked it or was being polite.

DH in town this week picked me up one after another SMOOTH peanut natural butters. 3. THEY WERE ALL GRITTY. They will be eaten, but not in this pie.

So...broke down today and bought a jar of Kraft Smooth. Oh, it's smooth alright. I was afraid that it might be overly sweet, but I had no idea that it would taste mostly like a weird Crisco. Can't believe that we EVER ate this stuff.

End of rant. Now on to make the pie.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks Darienne! I wasn't even hungry and now I'm eating a peanut butter sandwich and wishing Rob still hung out here. :raz::biggrin:

I gave Rob's recipe a try once he got it where he was happy with it. Good stuff. I like it best without chocolate components, just a powerful shot o' peanut butter.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

If you google "Peanut Butter Pie for Mikey" you will get a number of sites with variations made by well known food bloggers that sound pretty good. Might give you a basis for recipe comparison.

Thanks Heidi.

I did find some pies through that thread but the pie is not for me, but for Barbara and this is how she would want it.

Peanut butter pie does not really interest me at all, but I made Ed and me a small pie-let with the leftovers. Added a tad of Panama Jack to our ganache.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 6 years later...

Good heavens, here I am again, still on the Peanut Butter and Chocolate pie kick.  Am making one for July 4th luncheon guests.

I'm still finding every single pie recipe basically boring and now having found Chris Hennes' suggestion about a touch of curry powder, I am thinking about that idea.  And a dash of salt because the peanut butter is natural.

The other idea which came to me was to spread on top of the crust a thin layer of a sauce made from seedless raspberry jam, butter and Chambord.  Then the peanut butter filling. And then the chocolate ganache.  I love my raspberry jam sauce...and so do others (never let them know what a cheat it is).  

I'd completely forgotten about buying and using the commercial stuff...although Ed did remind me this morning that it had happened...and here it is in black and white, so to speak.  But I never recorded what I thought about it.  O.o

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

18 hours ago, Darienne said:

I'm still finding every single pie recipe basically boring

If that includes Rob's (gfron1) peanut butter pie, I don't know what to suggest. That's peanut butter pie perfection as far as I'm concerned. Maybe toss a little ginger and hot pepper in and do a sweet play on the African soup? 

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

The other idea which came to me was to spread on top of the crust a thin layer of a sauce made from seedless raspberry jam, butter and Chambord.  Then the peanut butter filling. And then the chocolate ganache.

That sounds pretty tasty to me.

56 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

If that includes Rob's peanut butter pie, I don't know what to suggest. That's peanut butter pie perfection as far as I'm concerned. Maybe toss a little ginger and hot pepper in and do a sweet play on the African soup? 

I haven't tried Rob's pie.  Perhaps I'll do that next.  Each August, I give my former confectionery partner a peanut butter and chocolate pie.  It's been over ten years now I think.  And each time it's been a different recipe. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The peanut butter pie I grew up with in North Georgia was a little different, but it’s still my favorite. There’s a restaurant in Chatsworth GA called Edna’s where it’s very popular.

its just a baked pie crust, spread peanut butter on the crust, then filled with vanilla custard. They top it with meringue (I don’t like meringue, so I scrape it off) and sprinkle it with a mixture of peanut butter mixed with powdered sugar until it is crumbly. Then torch the meringue. 

I made it years ago, and subbed whipped cream for meringue. 

Thanks @Tri2Cook and after all these years I've tried many others and still think mine is flavor and texture perfection. I wish people were more willing to buy them but I think unless you're from the south of the US its a hard sell.

4 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Thanks @Tri2Cook and after all these years I've tried many others and still think mine is flavor and texture perfection. I wish people were more willing to buy them but I think unless you're from the south of the US its a hard sell.

Their loss... I'm way up here in Santa's South 40 and I'd buy them way more often than I should.

• Like 1

@Darienne  brosing through Melissa Clark's "In the Kitchen with a Good Appetite" her pesnutbutter chocolate pie popped up. It is a chocolate crust with a cream cheese and whipped cram based filling - not frozen. You can find the recipe here https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe/karens-peanut-butter-pie-11766797

On 7/4/2018 at 10:15 AM, heidih said:

@Darienne  brosing through Melissa Clark's "In the Kitchen with a Good Appetite" her pesnutbutter chocolate pie popped up. It is a chocolate crust with a cream cheese and whipped cram based filling - not frozen. You can find the recipe here https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe/karens-peanut-butter-pie-11766797

Thanks Heidi.

Yesterday I made the Epicurious peanut butter pie again and put a raspberry spread under the filling and a dark chocolate ganache over the top.  The visitors come in a couple of hours and there's no point in asking for an honest response...I won't get one. 

I tasted the filling yesterday...and I just don't love it.  I like it alright I guess...but it's just not for me.  Ed liked it.  He really liked it.  So I think the answer lies in that response.  It's just one of those things I don't like...although I really like peanut butter.  Go figure.  Lime cream cheese with a chocolate ganache is more my style.

But thanks for trying.  :wub:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 4 weeks later...

It's almost August and I need to make Barbara her peanut butter/chocolate pie.  I looked back at HeidiH's suggestion and I think I'll go with this one.  Thanks HeidiH.  I'll report back on its reception...although Barbara is not the type to tell the truth if she doesn't like something which is a gift.  Who amongst us is?  And still has friends?

ps. Should add I'll skip the topping as posted and add a dark chocolate ganache over top. 

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

If I can return to heidih's post of July 4th with its suggestion of Karen's Peanut Butter Pie https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe/karens-peanut-butter-pie-11766797 .  I just realized that this pie calls for only 1/3 cup of sugar.

On the other hand, my Epicurious Recipe , https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/peanut-butter-pie-51192420, which has almost the identical list of ingredients and amounts, calls for 3/4 packed brown sugar. 

I don't have enough experience to be able to figure out why this great discrepancy in the amount of sugar called for.  I've made the Epicurious recipe and intended to make Karen's pie until I noticed the strange sugar difference.  Has anyone made Karen's pie?  Was it satisfactory?

Thanks. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

35 minutes ago, Darienne said:

If I can return to heidih's post of July 4th with its suggestion of Karen's Peanut Butter Pie https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe/karens-peanut-butter-pie-11766797 .  I just realized that this pie calls for only 1/3 cup of sugar.

On the other hand, my Epicurious Recipe , https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/peanut-butter-pie-51192420, which has almost the identical list of ingredients and amounts, calls for 3/4 packed brown sugar. 

I don't have enough experience to be able to figure out why this great discrepancy in the amount of sugar called for.  I've made the Epicurious recipe and intended to make Karen's pie until I noticed the strange sugar difference.  Has anyone made Karen's pie?  Was it satisfactory?

Thanks. 

I have nt made it but I trust Melissa Clark. She has written, co-written and tested for zillions of cookbooks with well respected folks. Also thinkin chocolate cookie wafers tend to be sweet. I just double checked in her book and it is 1/3c. 

The Peanut Butter mousse from the following video would likely make a great filling

Peanut Butter Icebox Cake

Higher on the sugar content,

1 C of brown sugar

2C whole milk. 

1/4 C cornstarch,

4 egg yolks, 

1.5 C peanut butter, 

4T butter, 

1tsp vanilla,

pinch of salt

2/3 C heavy cream whipped to medium peaks 

Edited by hongda (log)