• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Summit Thai

ejebud

We tried this Thai place that took over the space that the Malaysian(IIRC) place was in on route 10 in East hanover with our 2 kids, another couple and their 2 kids. The kids pretty much had a few wonton soups made with Chicken wontons and veggies($5.95) that was very good, 2 orders of dumplings that looked to me like Shui Mai ($7.95) and a couple a few orders of beef and chicken Satay($7.95). The satay while good, was 4 small strips served with peanut sauce. at $7.95 a plate, we were shocked at how miniscule the portions were. I had a Tom Yum Koong soup $6.95 that was good as well and a good size portion. We also had a fried Calamari($7.95) That seems to be the magic number for appetizers at this place, which is fine, but we didn't feel we were getting our monies worth and all agreed that the entree portions had better be bigger. Well they were slightly bigger. We had Green Curry Chicken, a Massaman Chicken (both $13.95), Peanut Chicken ($13.95) which was grilled chicken breast smothered in peanut sauce., Spicy Tangy Duck ($17.95) This was very good, crispy duck breast smothered in chili sauce., Pad Thai (outrageous to charge $12.95 for it) and a Red Devil Thai Basil with Chicken ($13.95) Everyone had either white or brown rice, I had a thai iced tea, and we had a couple of sodas. This is what rubbed me the wrong way about this place..Let me preface by saying that I know by nature Thai restos portions are not unlike indian restos in that the portions tend to be small, but the appetizers were rediculously small for the price, also, the sodas were $2.50 again not a problem unless of course they are serving the tiny 12 oz glass bottles of Coke for that price..PROPOSTEROUS!! and finally the kicker..We were charged $8.00 for Brown rice and $6.00 for white rice!! The bill for 4 adults and 4 kids was $213.00 before tip. The food was good, but we all agreed that we wouldn't be running back anytime soon, not when we can go to Chengdu 1 in Cedar Grove and eat like a king for $28 a head. Charged for rice....Well I never...

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Charged for rice....Well I never...

Ah...well, I have. :raz: I just read this post to a friend of mine, as he and I ate at Summit Thai about a month ago, and had many of the same comments. Fwiw, he's a regular customer at Thai Thai, and when they started charging for rice and raised their prices (both under new mgmt), he stopped going for quite some time. I'm wondering if that's just common at Thai restaurants in general...?

Having eaten at Summit Thai (once), I completely concur that their prices are a bit high (certainly for the app portions), but I thought the entrees we had (I had a duck in red curry, iirc and he had a good-sized chicken dish) were very tasty, albeit $2-3 more than they should have been. I just read ejebud's post to my friend, and his immediate comment was "I never think portions are big enough for the money you spend in Thai restaurants, but I guess I'm used to it. But the rice thing...? Ridiculous. If you get takeout, whether they charge you for it or not, they give you double the amount of rice you'd get in the small $2 bowl! Where's the logic in that?" My comment was that while I inevitably take home leftovers from every other ethnic restaurant, it never happens with Thai food.

Perhaps the folks at Summit Thai don't realize that they're on Route 10, not in Summit? Chances are I'll go to Saffron for Indian food if I want to spend $$ in that corridor. Or better yet, I'll hit Saffron at lunchtime, for the best $10 buffet lunch in the area!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."