• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Natural Almond Paste

DanM

I am wondering if anyone knows of a source for almond paste that is free of artificial preservatives and flavors. I reluctantly using American Almond products, but would prefer to use a brand that did not use unnecessary chemicals.

Thanks,

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Have you tried making your own? You won't get quite as smooth a consistency, but it may be worth it to be able to control what goes into it. You need a good heavy duty food processor, like a robot coupe, almonds, sugar, maybe a touch of almond extract. If you consider glucose and invert sugar artificial, you could try honey and a thick simple syrup. I've made decent marzipan, it's not too hard but maybe it depends on what you want to use it for?

I make my own marzipan and I have found that if I steam the almonds and then remove the skins, then put them through a meat grinder before putting the mass into the Cuisinart (I have a 20 cup) with the sugar, I get a very fine-grained product.

I can buy almonds locally, direct from the growers so get them fairly cheap and very fresh.

Sometimes I add a little glycerine to the mixture and I think it makes it a bit easier to work. I can't give you a specific amount, I add a teaspoon at a time while processing it until it "feels" right.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I make my own marzipan and I have found that if I steam the almonds and then remove the skins, then put them through a meat grinder before putting the mass into the Cuisinart (I have a 20 cup) with the sugar, I get a very fine-grained product. 

Meat grinder = genius! I recall you mentioning putting your candied ginger through the meat grinder also, do you have a dedicated pastry grinder, or do you just clean it really well between meat and sweets? Great, another piece of equipment we're all going to want to buy :rolleyes:

Meat grinder = genius! I recall you mentioning putting your candied ginger through the meat grinder also, do you have a dedicated pastry grinder, or do you just clean it really well between meat and sweets? Great, another piece of equipment we're all going to want to buy :rolleyes:

I have a big meat grinder for meats and poultry and its parts get pressure-washed and steam-cleaned.

I have a smaller (Maverick MM5501) grinder that I use only for nuts, fruits & etc.

Also for making pimento cheese! Its parts go into the dishwasher - I have an accessory basket for little bits and pieces that is a godsend for things like this.

The only time I put fruits through the big grinder is when I am preparing mincemeat (with meat) or adding them to sausage. I am a bit of a fanatic about cross-contamination and have never had a problem.

I originally ordered the Maverick from Amazon even though there were some negative reviews - I know people who have them and they work fine. (The price was cheaper.) However, after three weeks Amazon informed me that they were back ordered and it would be a month before it could be shipped. So I returned to my favorite online vendor of kitchen appliances, Pleasant Hill Grain, placed the order (free shipping) and had it within 4 days. I have used it for prolonged periods without it overheating or stalling and it consistently turns out stuff exactly the way I want it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I can try making my own in the future, but would prefer to buy it pre-made in large quantities if I make an official business out of this.

Thanks again for the advice.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.