• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sriracha

crinoidgirl

I have a 17 ounce bottle which is at least a couple of years old which I've never opened.  Is it still good?

I've tried that experiment with mustard and with salsa with no problems. I say go for it. It won't poison you if it is legit and unopened and contains no peanut solids from Consolidated. It will either taste good or not. There is only one way to find out.

I've had a bottle in my fridge that has been open since 2004, and has moved to four different houses/apartments and two different cities. It's still fine (I used it about two weeks ago for a sauce). It's all chiles and preservatives anyway - I think you'd know if it was bad, because it would be moldy.

On a separate note, I have a jar of tamarind paste that has an expiration date of January 2005. I use it about twice a month, and never had any problems with it. I don't know what it is about southeast Asian condiments, but they seem to be designed for long-term stability.

"A culture's appetite always springs from its poor" - John Thorne