• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barcelona Trip Report (in Photos)

loremipsum

I wanted to share photos of my latest trip eating in Barcelona. This was my third time visiting, so we wanted to make sure we ate at all new places that I haven't visited before. Overall, the food was amazing, and I'm convinced that Barcelona/Spain has perhaps the best food of all cities I've visited (except perhaps Tokyo/Japan). The food is always prepared simply, letting the ingredients shine, and at the same time wildly inventive (thank you El Bulli?).

Coure

Wasn't on the list when we went. Gresca lost our reservation however and were full for that night. Apologetically Rafael at Gresca suggested we try Coure. It was a pleasant surprise.

> Coure on Flickr

Senyor Parellada

The biggest disappointment of the trip. It was packed when we got there, so we waited and drank cava in the entrance (all the while wondering how the maitre d' kept track of the order without a written list). The food was bland and blah. Maybe it was an off night since I couldn't imagine why it was so popular.

> Senyor Parellada on Flickr

Pla

Had hard time finding a restaurant open on Sunday night (and had already been to Paco Meralgo). Ended up coming across Pla via some online searching. Solid food. Starters and sides stronger than the mains. Great interior space.

> Pla on Flickr

Hisop

Finally was able to make it to Hisop on this trip. Probably the most inventive tasting we had on the trip. Not all of it was "delicious" -- but all of it was "interesting". The most delicious combination: Raw scallops on top of deep friend pork belly. The most interesting (almost disgusting, but we couldn't stop eating them) were the black truffle chocolate truffles.

> Hisop on Flickr

Bar Mut

We were going to return to Can Ravell for a luxurious lunch, but they ended being full. So we walked to the nearby Bar Mut. Had to wait about half an hour, but we were glad we did. The waiter had great suggestions and we ate till we exploded. Everything was done perfectly, from the fresh seafood to the meats. Luxurious tapas, beautiful interior. One of my new favorites.

> Bar Mut on Flickr

Speakeasy at Dry Martini

Located in the back of a popular martini bar. We had the tasting menu with cocktail pairing. First time ever seeing a cocktail pairing with a menu, and worked fabulously. The drinks became key to each dish, adding additional flavors that complement and add to the dish. Great concept. Be prepared - I barely made it through the 11 cocktails (and I thought some of these long wine parings were too much alcohol...)

> Speakeasy on Flickr

Gresca

Featured last year in the New York Times, this relatively new place is labeled as a "Bistronomia" and I agree it's one of Barcelona's best young restaurants. The presentation was amazing, with a perfect soufleé holding a beautiful runny egg yolk to a cute, mimic of a coconut. Definitely recommended. And, at 45 euros for the tasting, it was a bargain. (I forgot my camera so unfortunately, all the photos are from my iPhone. I still wanted to share though...)

> Gresca on Flickr

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks! I've added these to my list. We were at Bar Mut a couple of years ago, and had a bit of a mixed experience. They said that the kitchen was closed, but that they would scare up a few things. A little while later some (seeming) regulars came in, and, lo and behold, the kitchen opened.