• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

We like us some Popeye's at the parades

Mayhaw Man

Ok, so, for years, we had a house on Napoleon Ave and we had some big parties. We didn't invite a soul. The parades formed up down the street (have you ever had the Clydesdales dumping in front of your house in the middle of a lovely Sunday afternoon? No, I thought not. Pride doesn't even begin to explain it.) and people just started showing up. A 14 foot, wide body, aluminum skiff full of fresh beer didn't hurt, but it wouldn't have mattered much, as many of the guests brought lots of their own, easy to carry, natural grain or grape products.

We had some kind of great, bulk food (gumbo, jambalaya, ettoufee and rice, etc.) and usually the "guests" showed up with something or other-often whole sacks of oysters-and we would do stuff with the last minute food, as well. All you need in Louisiana is a kitchen, something (damned near anything, we eat it if it doesn't eat us first and we cook it way better than you) to cook, and some folks hanging around in the kitchen worrying about the parade timing and why the Jazz Fest schedule is so screwed up with carpetbaggers and out of town has beens, and you're all set for a great meal in the Gret Stet. There is never a shortage of folks here who are willing to show off whatever skill that they have with the pots, pans and grease; not only because they can really cook, but also because it gets them out of feeling guilty about not washing said pots and pans when it's all done.

One of the things that you could ALWAYS depend on, and still can, though, was a big box of Popeye's from the conveniently located Popeye's around the corner on Magazine St. That and lots of ice. If you can't do anything homemade in New Orleans and you KNOW that you SHOULD ALWAYS SHOW UP AT PARADE PARTIES WITH SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE in hand, Popeye's and/or Ice are two sure fire ways to not encourage ugly backtalk for the weeks to come.

Today, my friend Judy Walker has a nice blog chunk in the Picayune about just how true the "Popeye's home delivery by your friends" thing really is. We like us some spicy chikken more than you do. Alot more...

http://blog.nola.com/judywalker/2009/02/po...ats_and_mo.html

Fried chicken, as a general thing, and Popeye's, specifically, is great parade food. It's easy to carry around, piece by piece, easy to eat, the waste is mostly completely biodegradable (suitable for flying rats and feral cats-something that NOLA is showing no shortage of), and it's awfully tasty for the price.

I live a few blocks from there now, and, not coincidentally, got a call last night about 5. The caller was wondering about the parking chances in my drive. I offered to move my junky ass Oldsmobile, as there was still a spot in front of the house for me to park this aging icon of Detroit in, and to let them park there. The guy, who has 3 chirrens under the age of ten, was really grateful. I figured he would show up, want to let everyone use the can, and be on his way to the parades 3 blocks away.

Sure enough, I was right (hey, it happens) but it got better. His wife got out of the passenger seat of the inevitable SUV with a big box of Popeye's. It was hard to be ungrateful. Once they were done handling their bidness in my bathrooms and had grabbed cold refreshments(which, they had, but mine were handier at the moment of need. No hard feelings), he finally (I suppose he was mentally working up to it) asked if they could use the drive for the rest of the weekend. I thought about it a minute, and, did what I knew that I should do as a kind and decent human being. I handed him an extra key, gave him the door code, and told him that I would be requiring chicken on Monday afternoon. He didn't even hesitate. Chicken on Monday is a guaranteed deal.

Welcome to New Orleans. Bring a gift if you want a parking spot and a bathroom. If you have alot of friends, bring your own beer.

Now, hurry up, I can hear them turning the corner at St Chuck and Napoleon. We gotta go...

Edited by Mayhaw Man (log)

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

From Judy Walker's Blog

The announcement came from Popeyes headquarters in Atlanta

That's like Nathan's Hot Dogs headquartering in Omaha.

Neat reminiscing Brooks. Made me feel like I had a virtual door code, key and seat on the stoop. Some of the greatest traditions are built around good eating.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

From Judy Walker's Blog
The announcement came from Popeyes headquarters in Atlanta

That's like Nathan's Hot Dogs headquartering in Omaha.

Neat reminiscing Brooks. Made me feel like I had a virtual door code, key and seat on the stoop. Some of the greatest traditions are built around good eating.

Holly, if you would just call me when you are in town, I would be happy to hook you up with some keys and directions.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Somewhere in some closet is a fantastic picture of my college roommate, her boyfriend and myself sitting in the middle of a trash strewn street eating fresh Popeye's fried chicken after a Mardi Gras parade. Being from North LA we know about Popeye, but that fresh fried chicken on that street corner remains one of the definitive food memories of my life.

My favorite Popeyes parade memory: I actually caught fried chicken in a parade, when my drunken friends threw all their beads early in the parade route and had nothing left to toss to me except their snacks & beers. Best catch at a parade ever! 3-pc spicy & a six pack. Nice.

My favorite MG memory: sitting at home and writing an appellate brief while everyone I know stakes out a spot for Endymion with massive amounts of liquor and small amounts of food. Does it count as a memory if it's happening as I write it?

Serious good memory, though: jambalaya, red beans, and chili-cheese dogs on St. Charles last night. Good friends, good food. Good night.

Edited by MikeHartnett (log)

My favorite Popeyes parade memory:  I actually caught fried chicken in a parade, when my drunken friends threw all their beads early in the parade route and had nothing left to toss to me except their snacks & beers.  Best catch at a parade ever!  3-pc spicy & a six pack.  Nice.

When I lived on Palmyra behind Jesuit, we would buy Popeyes on the corner and throw it to the guys on the floats.

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I'll spare the details, but my name gfron was born at MG in 1987 when I was attending Loyola during the Endymion parade. That fateful day started with 100 pcs of Popeye's and six kegs of bud nestled into ice in the back of a pickup. I was asked to guard the truck and the parade spot until everyone else showed up four hours later. I remember the first four hours, but not much else.

My favorite MG memory: sitting at home and writing an appellate brief while everyone I know stakes out a spot for Endymion with massive amounts of liquor and small amounts of food.  Does it count as a memory if it's happening as I write it?

Serious good memory, though: jambalaya, red beans, and chili-cheese dogs on St. Charles last night.  Good friends, good food.  Good night.

I feel for you man. Good luck with the brief.

We ate chicken every year on Fat Tuesday. We'd pick it up at a Popeye's on the way to someplace on St. Charles. It lasts remarkably well, though the crispness does tend to suffer.

• 5 months later...

the one thing I don't like about Popeye's here in the midwest, no crawfish. Idiots. Otherwise I would go there a lot more often.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 1 month later...

The parades have come and gone, the floats set in a warehouse somewhere, but the chicken is still good. Now I only need a bloody mary with the tigers playing on saturday and the saints on sunday.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

the one thing I don't like about Popeye's here in the midwest, no crawfish. Idiots. Otherwise I would go there a lot more often.

Hi,

It's not on the menu but, midwestern Popeye's are now offering a side of crawfish etouffee.

Tim