• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creole

Ce'nedra

http://www.amazon.com/Creole-Babette-Rozi%...pd_bxgy_b_img_a

I've been eyeing this book for awhile now -it seems fairly comprehensive but there hasn't been enough reviews to persuade me to purchase it. So here's a shout out to anyone who has this book. What are your thoughts?!

A good choice for Creole cooking?

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

I don't know anything about the book you are asking about but I have a niece who has lived in New Orleans for many years. She claims that the best book is the Lee Brothers Southern Cookbook. I don't have it so I can't substantiate her claim, but perhaps others on this board have.

I'm not sure what you're looking for, exactly, but this book is West Indies Creole, as in the roots of New Orleans Creole. It seems to have little to do with Creole as it is done in modern New Orleans. This may very well be what you're looking for, but I just thought I'd confirm.

I don't know anything about the book you are asking about but I have a niece who has lived in New Orleans for many years. She claims that the best book is the Lee Brothers Southern Cookbook. I don't have it so I can't substantiate her claim, but perhaps others on this board have.

I bought the Lee Bros. book recently and have only flipped through it. It is a comprehensive survery of Southern, as opposed to Creole cooking. While there are some Creole recipes in it, I'm not sure it's the best choice for some seeking only Creole recipes.

It is about West Indian (Caribbean) island cookery.

Specifically that of the island of Guadaloupe.

Guadeloupe is actually a part of France, that just happens to be in the Caribbean, sending Deputies (think Congressmen) to Paris.

Hence the cuisine of Guadeloupe seems to be Caribbean, with occasional French twists.

The author is a Guadeloupe-born French tv cook.

It seems as though the book might be a translation from a French original

http://www.amazon.fr/Festins-cr%C3%A9oles-...35226033&sr=8-2

Accordingly, I'd be astonished if it made reference to any US cooking styles.

I've never seen a copy that wasn't shrink-wrapped.

Its from the same publishers as Silver Spoon and 1080 Recipes (both also translated).

Unfortunately, that pedigree, for me, gives it a mountain to climb.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Accordingly, I'd be astonished if it made reference to any US cooking styles.

Actually, one review on Amazon does say that there are some relatives of New Orleans-style bananas foster and beignets in the book. Like I said above, this is the roots of New Orleans cuisine.

More on topic, though, if anyone has this, I would love to hear about it also. It sounds quite interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Creole-Babette-Rozi%...pd_bxgy_b_img_a

I've been eyeing this book for awhile now -it seems fairly comprehensive but there hasn't been enough reviews to persuade me to purchase it. So here's a shout out to anyone who has this book. What are your thoughts?!

A good choice for Creole cooking?

I've flicked through that book a few times, but unfortunately, like a few other cookbooks released by Phaidon, it's a case of style over substance.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"