• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegas Uncorked 2009

Vegas Uncork'd 2009 -- "This is the time - This is the place."

Bon Appetit has just updated their website for Vegas Uncork'd 2009. I briefly looked at the schedule (I haven't memorized it yet). It's similiar to the one last year except for a few changes. And I was told that this year's VU will be better than last year's.

Changes: 1. The Grand Tasting at Caesar's is going to be held at the pool. I went last year when it was held inside a tent. From what I heard, Caesar's Pool is a great venue.

2. Joel Robuchon will conduct a late-night session at the MGM Grand. I'm definitely going to that one!

3. This year, MGM Grand has joined Bellagio, Caesar's & Wynn as the major resorts involved in this conference.

VU 2009 should be lots of fun, and I wouldn't mind meeting some eGullet members there.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

So I can pay $175 to cook my own food at Vegas Uncorked? Oh, right, it's the "experience" of cooking with the pros that you are paying for. I'll go for the ones where I pay the same and don't have to work to eat. I can work for my food any day. Looks like a great event though, hope to see you there Russell.

B W Dining

bwdining.blogspot.com

• 1 month later...

Two events have already sold out-the Thursday night "Master" series dinner at Mesa Grill with Bobby Flay and the late, late, Thursday night event with Joel Robuchon and Cirque du Soleil's "KA." It's billed as "Theater in the Kitchen."

It will be interesting to see if the other events will sell out. One would think given the economic times that the turnout might be bleak. But then again, it's Las Vegas and people might need some relief by taking a food trip. Hotel prices are down and people probably love the idea of having dinner with Bobby Flay. I'm passing on that one and going to dinner at Payard Patisserie and Bistro on Thursday night. I find the company of Chef Payard and the Host, Alan Richman, far more interesting than Mesa Grill.

A lot of professionals will be in attendance at Vegas Uncork'd, and my guess is that they snagged most of the tickets early on to the Robuchon event.

I bought my tickets this weekend for some of the VU events, including the Grand Tasting on Fri. night and the Interactive Luncheon on Sat.

bwdining, I don't mind having a cooking lesson from Boulud, Bartolotta, Stratta & Poivedin, along with desserts by Robert. Obviously, you don't need any cooking lessons from these great chefs, right? However, if you change your mind, I'll remember to say hello to you. I hope to see you at one of the events.

To be honest, I was debating whether to go to the Grand Tasting on Fri. night. I realize it's going to be a big public relations event with many chefs & celebrities there. It wasn't going to be a sit-down fine dining meal. Mind you, I did go last year and really enjoyed myself. I got to meet several notables, including Bradley Ogden, Susan Feniger, Guy Savoy & Wolfgang Puck. I finally decided to go because I wanted the opportunity to meet the chefs, to show my appreciation for them and to encourage them in these not-so-easy times. Of course, I want to sample all that wonderful food!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

So far, I've purchased tickets for:

Theater in the Kitchen (L'Atelier).

The Grand Tasting.

The recently added Chocolates, Bubbles and Ice.

I'm agonizing over the Gala Dinner, but at $275 that's almost a dinner at Bar Charlie, which has become my must-go-to restaurant each trip to Las Vegas. The Interactive Luncheon also sounds good, but you mean I'd actually have to do something, other than just feed my face??? I don't know...