• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Create-a-Gras!

aliaseater

I'm trying to come up with something different for Tues. PM:

My freezer is full of cassoulet and chili, so beans (hoppin john, etc.) are not in the running.

My GF is allergic to shellfish, so a bunch of other stuff is out.

I'm thinking of, maybe, some type of beignet...or ???

Note that I'm in Chicago, so, while I know where to go to get tasso and certain other ingredients, I am somewhat supply challenged.

Any ideas?

Pick up your phone

Think of a vegetable

Lonely at home

Call any vegetable

And the chances are good

That a vegetable will respond to you

How about grits & grillades? Easy to prepare in advance, holds well on a buffet, inexpensive enough to feed lots of people. You can even cook the grits in a slow cooker for maximum ease of prep. I like Leon Soniat's recipe from his La Bouche Creole cookbook.

Or celebrate Mardi Gras like a REAL New Orleanian....with Popeyes spicy chicken, cheap vodka, and some plastic beads.

How about grits & grillades?  Easy to prepare in advance, holds well on a buffet, inexpensive enough to feed lots of people.  You can even cook the grits in a slow cooker for maximum ease of prep.  I like Leon Soniat's recipe from his La Bouche Creole cookbook.

Or celebrate Mardi Gras like a REAL New Orleanian....with Popeyes spicy chicken, cheap vodka, and some plastic beads.

Ooooooo... I vote either of these, minus the cheap vodka. Switch that out for moderate gin in my version, and scratch what I said earlier.

First of all, what's wrong with Gumbo? There's no beans and you can dump in whatever you want (or don't want).

Second, where are you getting your Tasso from in Chicago?

I buy mine over the internet, but wouldn't mind having a local source.

I don't want to do gumbo 'cause, well, I've done that before--I want something new.

Fox & Obel carried Tasso a few years back--it wasn't a big seller and I haven't checked lately, so LTBBA.

Popeyes sounds fine but the GF will go ballistic!

I just made a batch of polenta (grits ?) yesterday, so I'm now checking out grillades.

Keep 'em comin'.

Thanks

Pick up your phone

Think of a vegetable

Lonely at home

Call any vegetable

And the chances are good

That a vegetable will respond to you