• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Obama Burger

So far I've encounter three burgers dedicated to or inspired by the new President. One was in Chicago and another in DC -- both logical places to find such a creation. The third one I actually purchased, photographed and ate in Tampa:

gallery_42214_6390_21273.jpg

This one features a beef patty between two slices of grilled rye bread with bacon, onion, pineapple and jack cheese. I was skeptical, but it was outstanding. The grilled bread stood up to the moisture and provided a strong and surprisingly pleasant flavor component. It was a nine out of ten -- some blue cheese or hot peppers might make it a perfect ten.

Who has an Obama Burger story to share?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

This could make for an interesting addendum to my pieces on my hunt for the perfect hamburger here. It's very hard to find a good burger here (Bergen, Norway), and seems impossible to find a great one.

In the end I opted to make one myself with brioche buns and a patty made of 70% chuck and 30% rib-eye steak.

I guess our lack of tradition for the burger accounts for the lack of good burgers (there are a lot of crappy ones), but perhaps I'll create an Obama Burger myself. It'd be sort of in line with my possible future restaurant project.

Is there something in particular that is supposed to be on the Obama burger?

- Searching for inspiration and knowledge -

Is there something in particular that is supposed to be on the Obama burger?

That's the fun part -- creativity is boundless. The one and only Obama Burger I've had involved a chunk of pineapple I assume because of his Hawaiian background. Watching today's news coverage of his trip to Ottawa and learning of his familial connections to the North, I'm inclined to include a strip of Canadian back bacon braided with salty city and sweet country American ham strips. Well, maybe not.

Batard, could you provide us with the metric equivalent for a Buttload?

Moe Sizlack

Chicago’s Juicy Wine Co. debuted the [Obama] burger Tuesday night, but it’s not simply a way to boost foot traffic; there apparently was a lot of thought put into the burger’s creation.

The idea came from owner Rodney Alex and managing partner Wilbur Keith, he explained the symbolism behind each ingredient:

Marble rye bread: “It represents the biraciality of Barack.”

Wisconsin cheddar cheese: “It represents his Americanism and patriotism.”

The Kobe beef: “It’s all-American pure bred, and Obama is ultimately pure bred.”

Michelle’s first baked beans: “A tribute to Michelle Obama.”

Caramelized onions: “We’re all one melting pot.”

The restaurant/lounge also slashes the prices of American wines by half during Obama Burger days (Tuesdays), “to show we’re in celebration of America.” (Oh, and just to sell the point to death, the burgers are cooked on an American made Weber grill).

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

I wonder what a McCain Burger would've looked like . . .

Moe Sizlack

Chicago’s Juicy Wine Co. debuted the [Obama] burger Tuesday night, but it’s not simply a way to boost foot traffic; there apparently was a lot of thought put into the burger’s creation.

The idea came from owner Rodney Alex and managing partner Wilbur Keith, he explained the symbolism behind each ingredient:

...The Kobe beef: “It’s all-American pure bred, and Obama is ultimately pure bred.”

Michelle’s first baked beans: “A tribute to Michelle Obama.”

Marble rye--good symbolism. Cheese, ok.

Since when is Kobe all Amercan? I guess American Kobe is American. :rolleyes:

Call me crazy but please don't offer tribute to me with beans of any sort.

Honestly Michelle is more the carmelized onions and the baked beans are more melting pot.

Whatever. They had me at marbled rye and lost me in Wisconsin.

But the McCain burger tag lines are right on and funny!!!

My McCain Burger would be plain, sparsely garnished with North Vietnamese ingredients.

Moe Sizlack

You don't think we're missing the boat here? An excellent Chi-town dog with maybe some pineapple?

For McCain... shriveled tongue, forked at both ends, with a topping of rotting salmon moose (sic).

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”