• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Converting Cocoa Powder to Melted Chocolate

tmriga

I would like to use melted chocolate in my recipes instead. I have searched for a conversion list or formula to convert an amount of cocoa powder to melted chocolate, but my search has come up fruitless.

Does anyone have this information, or a link to a thread or an article with this info on it?

Thanks so much -

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Hello...I would almost agree. I would just change up the ratio slightly...I would add a little more oil to make it more of a true ratio. Although the oil you are adding melts at a lower temperature than cocoa butter so that will have to be taken into effect...

Different chocolates vary from each other quite a bit in terms of cocoa butter and sugar content. I think you could use either of the estimates you've gotten here as a starting point and tweak according to taste.

My inclination would be to use butter for the fat (keeping in mind that it's up to 19% water). Butter lends wonderful flavor and a succulent melt. More authentically, you could use cocoa butter, but if you're going to be that authentic then you might as well just use chocolate to begin with. Doesn't make much sense to buy parts that have been refined from chocolate and then put them back together again.

Notes from the underbelly

paulraphael -

That's actually my intention - to use real chocolate in lieu of cocoa powder. I searched on the Web before asking, and found that some websites offer different ratios of one to the other, so I decided to would ask here before proceeding.

I am not a fan of cocoa powder. No matter what brand, I can taste it in the final product, and they all taste like metal to me. I would prefer the added expense of melting real chocolate and adding that to my batters or doughs.

Thanks all, for your responses!

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Please let us know how it goes. Thanks.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”