• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Venice in winter 02/09 trip

Jon Savage

A new Thread will be coming soon now that I have some clarification as to what goes or doesn't here. I hope you all enjoy it. I do actually put a little effort into my writing here. Thanks also due to those who expressed interest in the continuation. A dopo. J. 

• Like 3

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

On 10/14/2017 at 1:32 PM, chefmd said:

I was in Venice briefly few years ago.  It was winter time and bitterly cold.  Alternating shots of espresso and glasses of wine kept us warm (ish).  Can't wait to follow along with your travels!  Hopefully the weather will be nice.

Caffe coretto helps! I myself relish that cold damp Venice winter cold. My favorite time of year.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

I'm looking forward to it. I was in Italy for a brief visit a few years ago and was in Venice for only two days of that visit, but I loved it from beginning to end. I stayed in a lovely Airbnb apartment, and very memorable to me were the owner's instructions of how to get to the apartment from the train station. I arrived at night so it was dark and I was on my own, so I was a bit nervous. I'm paraphrasing, but the instructions went something like this: when you get out of the train station make a right and walk forward until you get to the Big Bridge. Cross the Big Bridge and then walk a little and you will pass the bus station. Make a right and go over the Little Bridge. Go straight and you will walk through a park, turn to your left and then cross over another Little Bridge. Continue straight, cross one more Little Bridge, then go to the left and continue until you see some shops and then you will pass a pizza restaurant. It is a very good restaurant, I recommend you have dinner there. Also, ask for the owner because she has the keys to my apartment. She will give you the keys and then tell you how to get to my apartment.

There was not the name of a single street in the instructions, just lefts, rights, and bridges. (And a pizza place.) It worked like a charm, the restaurant was indeed very good, and, as I mentioned, I absolutely loved Venice. So I very much look forward to your blog!

• Like 2