• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joseph Schmidt closes

gfron1

HERE is the press release. They were recently bought and now the doors close. Reminds me of the Scharfen Berger story slightly. I guess the question is - do you take the money and run if you own one of these smaller companies, or do you keep it so it doesn't get ruined or closed.

HERE is the press release.  They were recently bought and now the doors close.  Reminds me of the Scharfen Berger story slightly.  I guess the question is - do you take the money and run if you own one of these smaller companies, or do you keep it so it doesn't get ruined or closed.

There are so many variables, I don't think it's quite so cut and dry.

Let's say he wanted to close the store, anyway. The choice is to close it himself, and get no other financial benefit, or to sell it despite the possibility of it getting ruined or closed. At least with the latter, he could have a slightly more comfortable retirement (or do whatever else he needed to do with the money).

Regardless, I think the best option is to sell to Warren Buffet. Look what he's done with See's!

I forgot to mention--I'm very disappointed that I never got the chance to try Joseph Schmidt's chocolates. They were on my list, but never got checked off.

Edited by prasantrin (log)