• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

macadamia nuts

sugar plum

I'm planning on baking Martha's chocolate macadamia nut tart this weekend:

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/ideal-...rt&rsc=header_3

Stupidly, I bought salted nuts instead of the unsalted version the recipe called for. I've just read in Rose Levy Beranbaum's Christmas Cookie cookbook that you can de-salt macadamia nuts. She recommends rinsing them under hot water and then popping them in the oven at 350 degrees for 5-10mins (to "re-crisp"). I was wondering--before I go and experiment with $13 worth of nuts--if anyone has tried this before?

I'm planning on baking Martha's chocolate macadamia nut tart this weekend:

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/ideal-...rt&rsc=header_3

Stupidly, I bought salted nuts instead of the unsalted version the recipe called for.  I've just read in Rose Levy Beranbaum's Christmas Cookie cookbook that you can de-salt macadamia nuts.  She recommends rinsing them under hot water and then popping them in the oven at 350 degrees for 5-10mins (to "re-crisp").  I was wondering--before I go and experiment with $13 worth of nuts--if anyone has tried this before?

I haven't tried to 'desalt' nuts, but I have skinned hazelnuts now in hot water and then recrisped them in the oven and it worked perfectly. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've done it many times. Keep the temp in the oven low and stir the macnuts around every 10 minutes or they will develop little tan spots. It won't affect the taste, just the appearance.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett