• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culver City visit

Foodie-Girl

Hi All !

Could use a few suggestions for restaurants near the Courtyard Marriott on Bristol.  Italian/California-French..?  Hopefully there are a few high-end options.  Thanks a bunch !

Char

Do you have a car ? It will give you many more options.

One restaurant I like in Culver City is Fraiche:

http://www.fraicherestaurantla.com/

Edited by Honkman (log)

Foodie-Girl,

I want to second Fraiche Restaurant, although I've never eaten there ... yet. And I know people who work there, including the chef. I should be ashamed of myself. :sad::sad:

Near the Helms Bakery Building is a place called Beacon. Kazuto Matsusaka is a very good chef, one of the early fusion chefs who was the original chef at Wolfgang Puck's Chinois on Main.

From Beacon, walk down the street to Surfas. It's a restaurant supply store for all your cooking equipment needs.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

On my list but haven't made it yet (so not an endorsement - maybe a local could help - Russ?) is Ford's Filling Station.

I ate at FFS once a while back. It's okay. Nothing to write home about, unless you're into Harrison Ford's son as chef.

Please give us a report, Char.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a quickie report and, again, many thanks for all the suggestions:

Beacon was good but I have a thing about the server removing the dirty fork/knife from my appetizer plate and putting it back on the table for me to re-use when the main course comes. OK, maybe I'm too finicky...But, the chicken wings were covered in a delicious sticky-sweet sauce and really left a mess on the silverware.

Akasha, beautiful space, nice food

Father's Office: Had a drink or two before dinner..it's a great place for the younger set but they didn't kick us out for being geezers... :biggrin:

Since Venice was only about 10 minutes away we went to Joe's which is always great (my opinion) and had lunch at a hot new spot, the name of which I simply can't recall and spell correctly. "Gjemina"?...something like that..maybe someone can help me out. It was great.

The hightlight of the trip was dinner at Bazaar (Jose Andres rest. in Beverly Hills). It was FANTASTIC and amazingly affordable...Went with another couple and with 2 cocktails (not a bargain at $16 each) several shared plates and dessert our half came to $135. It was a lot of food and there were no clunkers.

Sorry I didn't take notes at any of the meals...just getting too old I guess.

On to Las Vegas tomorrow....sticking with old (not so old really) favorites...B&B, Daniel Boulud and Restaurant Charlie.

quote=rjwong,Feb 25 2009, 08:26 PM]

On my list but haven't made it yet (so not an endorsement - maybe a local could help - Russ?) is Ford's Filling Station.

I ate at FFS once a while back. It's okay. Nothing to write home about, unless you're into Harrison Ford's son as chef.

Please give us a report, Char.

Since Venice was only about 10 minutes away we went to Joe's which is always great (my opinion) and had lunch at a hot new spot, the name of which I simply can't recall and spell correctly.  "Gjemina"?...something like that..maybe someone can help me out.  It was great.

A chef/friend told me about Gjelina in Venice. Good food made with top ingredients. I should try this place whenever I get over to the Westside.

LA Times food critic gave Gjelina 2 and 1/2 stars.

Yes, that's it !

Since Venice was only about 10 minutes away we went to Joe's which is always great (my opinion) and had lunch at a hot new spot, the name of which I simply can't recall and spell correctly.  "Gjemina"?...something like that..maybe someone can help me out.  It was great.

A chef/friend told me about Gjelina in Venice. Good food made with top ingredients. I should try this place whenever I get over to the Westside.

LA Times food critic gave Gjelina 2 and 1/2 stars.