• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

K-Paul's and other news

saturnbar

We got a flyer form K-Pauls at work advancing their new "Deli-Style Lunch Service" menu. Its somewhat limited, but offers several soups, salads, sandwiches, and plate lunches, almost all in the $8-$10 range. To go orders are accepted as well.

In other news, a pizzeria called Rotolo's, which is apparently a small Baton Rouge chain, just opened at the corner of Conti and Chartres in the old La Boucherie spot. Doesn't look too exciitng, aside from pizza its typical fare. Sadly, La Boucherie is now a coffee and pastry only spot a few doors down on Chartres.

I have passed Iris a few times lately, and it doesn't look like they are getting much of a lunch serivce if any, hope they are doing better for dinner. The build out looks very nice, but for some reason they have cafe curtains covering all the windows, which can't be helping. Aside from a sidewalk sign, the place is all but invisible. Just up the street, Felipe's looks to be doing quite well.

A new oyster bar opened at the corner of Royal and St. Louis in the old Tortorici's spot called Royal House. Very classic looking, lots of white tile. Appears they are doing good business.

And finally, the new incredibly tacky disco tech, Voila, has opened at the corner of Decatur and Bienville. The only reason I mention it is that they have a NY Strip special on Wednesdays for $5.95, comes with outstanding fries, and the steak was fine as well. If you can stand the decor (read not allergic to the color red), it's a serious bargain.

Oh, and Stanley has been open for a while in case you hadn't heard. A bit pricey, to be expected given the location though. Lots of breakfast items on the menu, and homemade ice cream too. Wish they would dump the Boar's Head affiliation though.

Charlie

I'm a bit nervous for Iris. I know that I personally haven't been much since they moved, mostly because of the location. I'm not sure why, because it really isn't much further from home, and parking is right across the street. It just seems more difficult, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out I was right the first time, the deli syle lunch thing is not a Mardi Gras only event, just thurs-sat, the menu changes daily and they post it on their website. In other news from Cassibry Square, Antoine's opened a bar in the Hermes room and is serving a few over priced small plates, (three oysters rock: $7.50; crabmeat raviogte. $19.25) although I may have to check out the oyster foch po boy with foie and a colbert sauce (8.00).

When that place first opened, Paul had a poboy shop, as well. It was totally New Orleans. They cashed checks, made sandwiches and so forth. It's been damned near 30 years, but it seems like it was upstairs. But I'm old now, my memory is shot, and I can't remember clearly. Big news there.

I do remember having some very strange meals there, including one that I would rather not remember, as it wasn't one of my strongest moments in life. The community seating thing, sometimes, was a real blessing and sometimes, a curse (I would love to put a link here to this very funny thread about dining disasters, bad acting, whatever-but I can't find it. I've searched alot. It involved me, some serious drinking, and some lawyers from Alaska-it wasn't pretty).

He should open up another shop. That part of the quarter could use it.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...