• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soul Restaurant Chestnut Hill.

Vadouvan

Reading the Butcher and Singer Review last week, Mr Laban mentioned at the end that he would be reviewing a restaurant called SOUL in chestnut hill.

Google reveals this : SOUL Restaurant

But upon further search parameters, I found another link.

Seems the principals of this restaurant are in a major network TV reality cooking show hosted by non other than Marco Pierre White starting this spring on NBC.

Marco is one of the best chefs ever which means this is huge, Gordon Ramsay used to work for MPW.

The link is Here.

This ought to be interesting.

The best cookbook ever was White Heat.

Full menu can be found at Soul BYOB.

Not your average soul food menu.

Oh, it's a pretty good soul food menu if it's Louisiana soul you're talkin' 'bout. With a few extras (pan seared salmon, strip steak, arugula...) tossed in. Shoot, my dad passed on some Cajun dishes to me along with stories about some lost relatives in Louisiana as I was growing up.

Though I note that the chef-owners are at pains to point out that their menu is Creole, not Cajun. (Gumbo -- a dish whose required vegetable is of African origin, or at least whose name is a corruption of a Yoruba word for said vegetable -- is common to both.)

Though I will admit that when I perused the menu, my first thought was: "Okay, they got their greens, but where's the fried chicken?" The absence of chitlins from any soul food restaurant menu doesn't faze me; I don't think any place that served them would long retain its patronage, for the smell of them cooking would drive them away.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I think I've seen the ads for this show. Is this the guy that supposedly made Gordon Ramsey cry?? Or as he puts it, "Gordon chose to cry..." :laugh:

This really ought to be interesting. Lots of foodie TV stars coming out of Philly lately, it would seem.

So has anyone been to Soul or know anything about the chef? The children's cooking classes look interesting. I might want to sign up my niece and nephew for those - they're both prodigious eaters and little foodies-in-the-making.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

LaBan was pretty harsh with one Bell ("Hit or Miss"). Criticized them for inconsistent and sometimes over-seasoned and amateurish food along with persnickety attitudes from both mom/chef and daughter/FOH.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)