• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using White Chocolate to make Colors pop!

pringle007

I was flipping through the Food Newtork (or maybe it was Travel Channel.. it was late, and I had been sampling fare at the local pub) and saw a choclatier running through a demo on making diamond shaped chocolates. After using his finger to rub colored cocoa butter in the mold in a variety of vibrants colors, he then rubbed a small bt of whte chocolate into the molds to help make the colors pop, then molded as usual in dark chocolate. I know some chocolatiers use a fine layer of white cocoa butter to as the final layer to make things pop, does anyone use this white chocolate method?

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

Absolutely. Talked about at length in, I think, this thread:

Chocolates with that showroom finish

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I searched through the thread (Thanks for pointing me int he right direction!) and came up with another question. Wouldn't the white chocolate bring a different level of flavor to the piece? You'd have a thin layer of white chocolate to back up the colors, then you'd mold the chocolate in dark chocolate. It dosen't harass the flavor?

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

Since I don't do much in the way of chocolate this may or may not be helpful, but I recently received a sample form Qzina of a snow white colorant that I wanted to add to cocoa butter for spraying. I haven't used it yet, but it seems like it would work well for what you're talking about.

I searched through the thread (Thanks for pointing me int he right direction!) and came up with another question. Wouldn't the white chocolate bring a different level of flavor to the piece? You'd have a thin layer of white chocolate to back up the colors, then you'd mold the chocolate in dark chocolate. It dosen't harass the flavor?

The colorants do, indeed, affect the flavor but the trick is to make the colored layers of cocoa butter as thin as possible to achieve the effect you're seeking so that you can minimize the impact on flavor.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I added a similar reply to the Chocolates with the Showroom finish thread, but was wondering if anyone has had any experience using the Interference Colors that Tomric has on their website?

From looking at them I don't think they're any different from the pearl powders, lustre dust etc that people describe in this thread. Chef Rubber sells FDA approved pearl powder in smaller quantities (ie. smaller prices) than on the Tomric site.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Just remember that not all lusters are mica-based pearlescent pigments and may not be edible as defined by the FDA. There is a big difference between non-toxic and edible or food safe. Also, even the mica-based pearlescent pigments are only approved for six applications; 1. cereals 2. confections and frostings 3. gelatin desserts 4. hard and soft candies (including lozenges) 5. nutritional supplement tablets and gelatin capsules and 6. chewing gum.

brian

A colleague of mine asked me if I know of these it is something you add to the soft gel colors to allow it to be used on white chocolate. It all seems rather cheap but I couldn't really understand the prices for the soft gel (!)

flo coat

soft gel paste

Are they the same as cocoa butter color? What are they? I don't really use color other than the natural ones from chefrubber so I don't really know...

Thanks

Edited by Lior (log)