• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bisbee & Nogales Restaurants

• 1 month later...

Chris....

I've been waiting for someone with more current info to post, because it's been more than fifteen years since I lived in Tucson, but I did spend about a week there last summer and hit some of my old favorites.

Arizona-Mex....didn't go to Micha's, which I used to love, or El Charro, which ditto, but I'm sure they're still there and still good. What I did do was to go to Mi Nidito, which was my favorite place for Caldo de Queso, the famous Sonoran cheese soup. They've gussied up Mi Nidito a LOT, so the interior was unrecognizable to me, but that soup was still fabulous. And Poca Cosa started in a small, nondescript building, which has been torn down, but the larger, newer one is still doing a thriving business. The thing to order there is the Poca Cosa "plate," which is a chef's choice, and always good.

I also would not go to Tucson without taking a run down to Nogales to eat at La Roca. I always am afraid that the chicken mole won't be as good as I remember it. And I'm always wrong. It's just flat-out wonderful. And I love La Roca.

Back to the Caldo de Queso.... Don't know how long you're going to be there, but every single time you eat in a Mexican restaurant, order it. Oftentimes it's not on the menu, but they always have it. Actually, I say "oftentimes it's not on the menu," because it used to not be on the menus. In the ensuing 15 years, it seems finally to have become known by Gringos (which it was not when I was there), and is appearing on menus at last.

Edit: Just noticed you said you were going to be in Bisbee. From there, it's a pretty quick hop down to Douglas and Agua Prieta. Didn't go there on this last trip, but the lobby of the Gadsden hotel is definitely worth a visit (take a camera). And Agua Prieta had a small, but terrific restaurant in the "old days."

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 1 year later...

My MIL is going on a week bird watching trip to Bisbee, never having been there

what places can anyone recommend? I saw the Bisbee website and there are

many places listed. Any suggestions are most welcome and I'll pass them on! A hui hou! :smile:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

My MIL is going on a week bird watching trip to Bisbee, never having been there

what places can anyone recommend? I saw the Bisbee website and there are

many places listed. Any suggestions are most welcome and I'll pass them on! A hui hou! :smile:

Bisbee Grill - right across from the Copper Queen

Prickly Pear Cafe - I beleive they still have a wine store

Cafe Roka ???? have heard good & bad but the citizens I've interviewed all recommended it.

Hey thanks to everybody who so far made suggestions! I really appreciate it and

have been sending on the information to her. Gourmet had an article about the

Bisbee Breakfast Club this month that made me drool so I made certain I told

her to go there. She leave Saturday. Thanks and if anyone thinks of anything

else to add by all means. They are staying in a rental house, it's 6 women.

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Bisbee Breakfast Club is excellent. Not the best pancakes but very good french toast, bacon, sausage, and the SWMex dishes were all excellent.

Bella Roma Pizza is also worth a stop. They could put out slop and make a killing, but it's quality dough, cheese, and excellent oven-roasted roma tomatoes in the place of sauce.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I love La Roca in Nogales. I never pass through that way without a trip down there for some Chicken Mole. Utterly and totally divine.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.