• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Twix candy bars

Lior

We received a bag of mini candy bars from the U.S. There was a bar called Twix which my daughter just loves. It looks like it has a biscuit (like Petit Beurre or marie biscuits?), a layer of caramel-very thin and coated in chocolate.

Do you know these? I assume yes.

I want to make her a home made version. So I need to know what kind of biscuit/cookie is used-does anyone know? Is a recipe available?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Lior (log)

I recently saw a short TV piece on how Twix are made. After baking the biscuit on relatively low heat for a very long time (to make sure it is totally dry) they apply a thin coat of chocolate on top, so that the next layer (the caramel) doesn't soak in. Then the whole thing is coated in chocolate. This was done in a factory by huge machines that churned out zillions of perfect cookies. Pretty impressive, but it made me think of gfron1's thread about people preferring pastries that look homemade. Let us know how they turn out Lior.

Thanks! Yes Kerry that is exactly what I think- do you get petit beurre? Itis a rectangular dry bland biscuit. I guess it seems like a tea biscuit. If I make them then I can shape them long and thin. I will try this. So many things to try!

Petit beurre sounds vaguely familiar - I'll check the grocery store next trip. Do you have a recipe?

I make a Twix-like candy bar. I use the cookie recipe from here, and then use my own caramel to top them. I don't do a chocolate layer between the caramel and the cookie, and had no problems at all with moisture migration. But I'm using a slightly firmer caramel than on a typical twix. I actually make these with a chipotle caramel, and dip in milk chocolate - it's delightful!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I make a Twix-like candy bar. I use the cookie recipe from here, and then use my own caramel to top them. I don't do a chocolate layer between the caramel and the cookie, and had no problems at all with moisture migration. But I'm using a slightly firmer caramel than on a typical twix. I actually make these with a chipotle caramel, and dip in milk chocolate - it's delightful!

I am interested in the addition of chili to food where it might not be expected. This is certainly one! What other types of goodies do you add it to?

I am interested in the addition of chili to food where it might not be expected. This is certainly one! What other types of goodies do you add it to?

I make a chipotle dark chocolate truffle as well, and i'm working on an ancho-chile & cinnamon hot fudge sauce.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

MOCK TWIX® BARS

1 c. flour

1/2 c. powdered sugar

1/2 c. butter

1 tbsp. sweetened condensed milk

Mix as for pie crust. Press into 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake 12 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool.

FILLING:

1 (14 oz.) pkg. caramels

1/3 c. sweetened condensed milk

1/2 c. butter

1 c. powdered sugar

6 Hershey chocolate candy bars

Melt caramels and milk in heavy saucepan. Blend together butter and powdered sugar. Add to caramel mixture and beat well. Spread over cooled crust. While still hot, top with Hershey bars. Spread evenly. Cool. Cut small, very rich.

My friends and I played around with some soft caramel sandwiched between two social tea biscuits and then ran them through the enrober with milk chocolate.

I want to try making some biscuits that are long and thin but the social tea biscuits were perfect in a pinch. I think they were peak freans.

Totally addictive and extremely sweet which is what we were looking for!

gallery_53591_4944_12053.jpg

recipe I found but have not tried yet:

Petit beurre

Tammy that sounds amazing. I love chipotle. I also useit in twoof my truffles!

I will go look at your recipe=thanks!!

And Isabelle-thank you. I have a majot problem getting condensed milk here. But I do rarely find it...

Lior, once more you are inspiring me - my candy kitchen is being "upgraded" (new ceramic tiles being installed) and once that project is completed, I'm going to try my hands at making something like these - will post pics for comments when done, but in the meantime...I'm printing out your pictures and putting them on my office wall for inspiration...

You ROCK

In one of Sherry Yards books (I believe she mentions it in both books) she actually learned the official twix bar recipe from Professor Halsey inventor of the twix bar for Mars corporation.

I don't recall the exact shortbread recipe but I do remember that it required ground up uncooked rice to create that twix cookie texture. I'll have to see if I can track down the recipe.

Lior, the link below should take you to a preview of recipes from Sherry Yard.

Scroll down to I think page 96 and you get to the twix recipe.

I am going to have to try this as I have always loved the bought version.

sherry yard recipes

lots of other good looking things in there too and although I think it is protected from printing out, there is not too much info to jot down.

cheers

Another option which gives you quite a few flavor options is to bake a "flat" biscotti. Biscotti will have a more crumbly texture, but you can shape it pretty much any way you want and since you cut them before the 2nd bake, you can control the size and shape.

Petit beurre

And Isabelle-thank you. I have a majot problem getting condensed milk here. But I do rarely find it...

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

• 2 years later...

Another option which gives you quite a few flavor options is to bake a "flat" biscotti. Biscotti will have a more crumbly texture, but you can shape it pretty much any way you want and since you cut them before the 2nd bake, you can control the size and shape.

Petit beurre

Really old topic, but since I'm in bar mode, I thought I would see if anyone had attempted a Twix.

I may try this recipe, or another one I have that has an egg. I made a basic shortbread (flour, sugar, butter) and it's way too crumbly and a little too soft. The caramel layer adhered fine, but once it was cut, crumbs everywhere and the edges were not clean. The bite was not crunchy either, which I want.

I thought about scoring the dough first for an easier cut, but not sure about that.

I still have trials to do. I've had lots of requests for this type of bar.

I see there have already been a lot of good responses, but I just ate a mini Twix bar (MMMMMM!) and was thinking about the biscuit - to me it's very similar tasting to a plain biscuit we can buy in Australia called "Scotch Finger". It's like a shortbread, I guess, but the texture is very similar to a twix and the flavour is good. I just did a google search and couldn't find any recipes to make scotch fingers (i guess because they're quite a plain biscuit) so dunno if this is really helpful at all, but maybe it's an idea for someone :)