• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Westfield Shopping Centre

So i've conceded and i am taking my wife shopping at Westfield in Shepards Bush next Sat. Looking at their website they seem to have quite a few "eateries", any recommendations? I would rather not do Italian (i can put ingredients together just fine at home thank you) but other than that we eat anything.

Or should i not bother, parking rates look reasonable, i could ditch the car and book a table Yauatcha...

Wahaca is very good at Westfield. I have not been but have heard that the Meat and Wine Co is good too.

The Princess Victoria is indeed excellent, but is rather more than a 10-minute stroll away! That said parking is not a problem around there, unless there is a QPR football match on.

The club gascon outlet on the second floor does a duck burger with foie gras (I think they call it duck liver or something on the menu - presumably so as not to scare the locals or PETA supporters) which sounds nice. Although by the time I got there they have closed down and were just selling sodding chips.

Bring a decent pair of walking shoes. You'll need them.

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Seems like this place is a bit of a wasteland for us gulleters then! How about Pho? Looks like they have a couple of other outlets around London. Does any have experience of these? I'm partial to a good bowl of Pho, though the last one i had in Hong Kong gave me food poisoning. It maybe time to exorcise that demon.

Thai restaurant Esarn Kheaw is 10 mins down Uxbridge Road (about half way to the Princess Victoria) and is excellent. It's my local and we love it.

Recently reviewed by Matthew Norman:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/200...staurant-review

The Westfield has plenty of OK places but nothing to write home about. I think a Yauatcha is opening later this year - anyone with more up to date news on that?

The duck burger at Crosque Gascon is just about OK, and as some respondents have said there's also a Wahaca which (if the one off Traf Sq is anything to go by) isn't bad. But there's another Mexican outpost there, Nine Ten, which looked better than Wahaca when I went past.

Went to the Princess Victoria tonight, really enjoyed it. Had smoked eel to start, which had smoked mackerel pate and cured herring with it. Pleasing but not awe-inspiring. Then had salt beef brisket with an unctuous beef and mustards sausage accompanied by bone marrow dumpling plus bubble & squeak. Really, really good. An excellent pear sundae to finish.

Good meal, nice place. Prices higher than advertised by Durack but worth it.

I haven't eaten in any of the places in westfield but, ..., i don't know, maybe its because I'm not a Londer, but in my local town, where I pretty much considered i lived albeit on the outskirts, the one place where it was worth eating (a 1 in the Good Food Guide, and we were mighty glad...), was 30 minutes walk or a taxi away... basically I am acknowledging that not everyone on here will agree with my definition of nearby, but within 30 minutes, probably less, Azou is a fantastic North African. Closer, within 15 minutes, is Adam's cafe, another North African. I think Azou edges the food, but Adam's is closer and has £3 corkage or very underpriced Musar if your disorganised. Azou is better though, and perfectly palatable tunisian wine is not exactly expensive there either...