• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hand and Flowers

• 4 weeks later...
Has anybody been yet? (H&F)

Can't wait to read a review

There must be someone out there who can post one.

Wanted to put pictuers to go with report on H&F but dont know how - they won't copy and paste.

Edited by Pam Brunning (log)

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

At last a pub worth returning to. Not since our visit to The Sportsman the other year have I had a pub experience worth repeating. We went to The No Body Inn the other week it was awful but this time we struck lucky. I must admit due very much to e gullet, you have all been going on about the great £10 lunches at The Hand & Flowers in Marlow for a while, well we eventually made it and I have to write about it. I have written about The No Body but it won’t encourage you to go there so there is no point in putting it on here!

The H&F is a Greene King I see, opened in 2005 by Tom and Beth Kerridge it gained a Michelin star in its first year. Divided into three eating areas which were obviously the original, public, private and snug bars it oozes old world charm with beamed ceilings and heavy oak scrubbed tables. We booked fortunately, by 1.15pm they were turning walkins away, one party of eight was most upset. It was a warm spring day so some were offered the use of the garden which they readily accepted. The only problem was that this put the kitchen under pressure to say nothing of the waiting staff who were running in and out and the service got slower and slower.

We sipped a glass of Prosecco while we scanned the wine list and enjoyed an appetizer of deliciously crisp white bait with a Tabasco dip. Food was quickly ordered as there were only two courses to choose from on the £10 menu, the wine took a little longer but as usual after going through the whole list we settled for a carafe of house red - a vin de pays. If any foodie pub can’t offer a good house wine it is not worth patronising - we weren’t disappointed. Bread was freshly made, a soda bread and white rolls, served with a good quality slightly salted butter which was spreadable - alleluia - not straight out of the fridge.

My first course of west country pork pie with piccalilli was very good. The pastry was not too thick and heavy and the filling was tender and tasty with plenty of jelly and the piccalilli was not vinegary.

My partners leek and chive velouté was lacking in salt but blossomed when some was added. Our Hand & Flowers Lasagne was different. Served in deep bowls the freshly made pasta encased a tasty mix of shredded beef, rather than mince, mixed with tomatoes, mushrooms and herbs. I must admit, when I thought of the shredded beef, a naughty thought went through my head ‘mechanically recovered meat’! But no, the beef was good. The dish was finished with a béchamel sauce sprinkled with nutmeg. A gratined cheese topping would have given more life to the dish.

Puds were, a very dry chocolate tart with super thin pastry served with malted milk ice cream and a rum baba with coconut sorbet. I enjoyed them both but my partner was not impressed, not being a pud man, it takes a lot to impress him. Mind you I ate half the rum baba but couldn’t taste any rum.

Three courses were £13.50 - a good quality, reasonably priced pub lunch. I would love to try the à la carte but starters average £8 and mains £17 and by the time you add puds, coffee, drinks and service it becomes a special occasion venue.

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

At last a pub worth returning to. Not since our visit to The Sportsman the other year have I had a pub experience worth repeating. We went to The No Body Inn the other week it was awful but this time we struck lucky. I must admit due very much to e gullet, you have all been going on about the great £10 lunches at The Hand & Flowers in Marlow for a while, well we eventually made it and I have to write about it. I have written about The No Body but it won’t encourage you to go there so there is no point in putting it on here!

The H&F is a Greene King I see, opened in 2005 by Tom and Beth Kerridge it gained a Michelin star in its first year. Divided into three eating areas which were obviously the original, public, private and snug bars it oozes old world charm with beamed ceilings and heavy oak scrubbed tables. We booked fortunately, by 1.15pm they were turning walkins away, one party of eight was most upset. It was a warm spring day so some were offered the use of the garden which they readily accepted. The only problem was that this put the kitchen under pressure to say nothing of the waiting staff who were running in and out and the service got slower and slower.

We sipped a glass of Prosecco while we scanned the wine list and enjoyed an appetizer of deliciously crisp white bait with a Tabasco dip. Food was quickly ordered as there were only two courses to choose from on the £10 menu, the wine took a little longer but as usual after going through the whole list we settled for a carafe of house red - a vin de pays. If any foodie pub can’t offer a good house wine it is not worth patronising - we weren’t disappointed. Bread was freshly made, a soda bread and white rolls, served with a good quality slightly salted butter which was spreadable - alleluia - not straight out of the fridge.

My first course of west country pork pie with piccalilli was very good. The pastry was not too thick and heavy and the filling was tender and tasty with plenty of jelly and the piccalilli was not vinegary.

My partners leek and chive velouté was lacking in salt but blossomed when some was added. Our Hand & Flowers Lasagne was different. Served in deep bowls the freshly made pasta encased a tasty mix of shredded beef, rather than mince, mixed with tomatoes, mushrooms and herbs. I must admit, when I thought of the shredded beef, a naughty thought went through my head ‘mechanically recovered meat’! But no, the beef was good. The dish was finished with a béchamel sauce sprinkled with nutmeg. A gratined cheese topping would have given more life to the dish.

Puds were, a very dry chocolate tart with super thin pastry served with malted milk ice cream and a rum baba with coconut sorbet. I enjoyed them both but my partner was not impressed, not being a pud man, it takes a lot to impress him. Mind you I ate half the rum baba but couldn’t taste any rum.

Three courses were £13.50 - a good quality, reasonably priced pub lunch. I would love to try the à la carte but starters average £8 and mains £17 and by the time you add puds, coffee, drinks and service it becomes a special occasion venue.

Pam, Thank You.

I was starting to lose hope in anybody actually dining here.

It was getting to the point of me making a stupidly long journey to satisfy my curiosity

It certainly seems that you enjoyed yourselves.

Clearly its working for them,I wish them well.

Happy Dining!

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

• 3 months later...

Well, its three months since I started this thread and I was beginning to worry as to when, if ever, that we would get around to trying it ourselves.

Eventually by linking lunch with another dinner, somewhat locally, (report soon) we finally made it.

Its been a handfull of years since our last visit to Henley, it always coincided with our yearly visit to Royal Ascot and strange though it may seem, it was ladies day at Ascot when we dined here, which perhaps explains why they were not full.

The low ceiling pub is quite appealing and somewhat homely, the mirrored bar with its array of good beers made my mouth water.

The focus of attention was of course the food, especially the two courses for a tenner, or as in our case three courses for thirteen fifty.

This was the menu.

Onion Risotto.

Nicoise Salad.

Slow Braised shoulder of Lamb, pea and mint broth.

Hand and Flowers Lasagne.

Chocolate Tart with malted milk ice cream.

Rum Baba with coconut sorbet.

Lemon Posset with Pistachio biscotti.

Note the three choices for dessert, must be a few sweet tooths in Marlow :cool:

Tasty little Whitebait on a wooden platter were served with a Marie Rose dipping sauce to get the taste buds going, nice touch this.

We would have liked, to try the Niciose salad however two days prior to our visit, we dream't of the Promenade des Anglaise as we devoured our own version, so it was not to be.

We both had the Risotto, which was spot on, just a bit of bite, not too gloopy, topped off with a deep fried onion ring and clove of garlic, borage flowers added a flourish of extra colour.

We did'n't fancy being whisked off to Italy with the Lasagne, as the thought of Lamb, frolicking in the local fields appealled a lot more.

The slice of shoulder was very tasty indeed, sitting in a lake of tasty jus,

Peas are bang in season now, and the small dice of potato, peas, the tiniest mange tout I have ever witnessed, and a veritable forest of pea shoots sitting atop, was summer on a plate.

I had the Rum Baba, which did have a glug of rum in it, the Coconut sorbet was quite tasty, decorated with a sliver of vanilla pod.

Mrs G enjoyed her Posset, although in fairness she's not a pud sort of person, preferring, savoury by far.

There is a wine offer on at lunch, typically one bottle of white, and one of red.

We opted for a bottle of Rey Viejo Tinto, from Spain.

Service was well informed and relaxingly friendly, our waitress, Katie, is a bit of a foodie, just starting out on her many travels.

We took a look at the accomodation before we left, and good it was indeed, especially as they have (are?) reduced the rates.

I'm really pleased that we finally dined here, especially so given the pricing, its cheap as chips for a quality product, one small concern, however was the bread, which was very chewy, and frankly hard work.

I'm sure that this was a one off :wink: if not guys please take it constructively.

A return visit is in order to eat from the Carte although I can't say when, perhaps sooner than later :smile:

Long may they be busy.

2 x set menu 3 courses £27

1 x Wine offer £14

Thames Water FOC

Total £41

As a footnote popped into The Compleat Angler to take a look at Aubergine and get a sample menu for another time.

Heard a bit of gossip that the FD is busy recruiting quality staff for a new venue?

@d_goodfellow1

Well, its three months since I started this thread and I was beginning to worry as to when, if ever, that we would get around to trying it ourselves.

Eventually by linking lunch with another dinner, somewhat locally, (report soon) we finally made it.

Its been a handfull of years since our last visit to Henley, it always coincided with our yearly visit to Royal Ascot and strange though it may seem, it was ladies day at Ascot when we dined here, which perhaps explains why they were not full.

The low ceiling pub is quite appealing and somewhat homely, the mirrored bar with its array of good beers made my mouth water.

The focus of attention was of course the food, especially the two courses for a tenner, or as in our case three courses for thirteen fifty.

This was the menu.

Onion Risotto.

Nicoise Salad.

Slow Braised shoulder of Lamb, pea and mint broth.

Hand and Flowers Lasagne.

Chocolate Tart with malted milk ice cream.

Rum Baba with coconut sorbet.

Lemon Posset with Pistachio biscotti.

Note the three choices for dessert, must be a few sweet tooths in Marlow :cool:

Tasty little Whitebait on a wooden platter were served with a Marie Rose dipping sauce to get the taste buds going, nice touch this.

We would have liked, to try the Niciose salad however two days prior to our visit, we dream't of the Promenade des Anglaise as we devoured our own version, so it was not to be.

We both had the Risotto, which was spot on, just a bit of bite, not too gloopy, topped off with a deep fried onion ring and clove of garlic, borage flowers added a flourish of extra colour.

We did'n't fancy being whisked off to Italy with the Lasagne, as the thought of Lamb, frolicking in the local fields appealled a lot more.

The slice of shoulder was very tasty indeed, sitting in a lake of tasty jus,

Peas are bang in season now, and the small dice of potato, peas, the tiniest mange tout I have ever witnessed, and a veritable forest of pea shoots sitting atop, was summer on a plate.

I had the Rum Baba, which did have a glug of rum in it, the Coconut sorbet was quite tasty, decorated with a sliver of vanilla pod.

Mrs G enjoyed her Posset, although in fairness she's not a pud sort of person, preferring, savoury by far.

There is a wine offer on at lunch, typically one bottle of white, and one of red.

We opted for a bottle of Rey Viejo Tinto, from Spain.

Service was well informed and relaxingly friendly, our waitress, Katie, is a bit of a foodie, just starting out on her many travels.

We took a look at the accomodation before we left, and good it was indeed, especially as they have (are?) reduced the rates.

I'm really pleased that we finally dined here, especially so given the pricing, its cheap as chips for a quality product, one small concern, however was the bread, which was very chewy, and frankly hard work.

I'm sure that this was a one off :wink: if not guys please take it constructively.

A return visit is in order to eat from the Carte although I can't say when, perhaps sooner than later :smile:

Long may they be busy.

2  x set menu 3 courses  £27

1  x Wine offer              £14

Thames Water FOC

Total                            £41

As a footnote popped into The Compleat Angler to take a look at Aubergine and get a sample menu for another time.

Heard a bit of gossip that the FD is busy recruiting quality staff for a new venue?

Forgot to mention that no service charge is levied, however I did tip as appropriate for excellent service. :smile:

@d_goodfellow1

• 8 months later...

well we didn't take advantage of the £10 lunch but we did avail ourselves of their £100 a night room offer which saw us in a large ground floor room just down the road from the pub, complete with hot tub but being a cold february night it didn't seem quite appropriate though the staff seemed disappointed we'd not indulged!

we arrived mid-afternoon and checked in at the pub, chef tom kerridge was around and we got chatting, i told him about our kingham plough visit earlier that day, and the sous vide burger, to raised eyebrows, i started a rant but then thought oh shit i hope there's not a load of sv on the menu here! tom said they only did the duck en croute mise sv and it was something to be used sparingly. Thus reassured we retired for a nap in readyness for dinner.

we arrived at the bar in time for a couple of pre dinner pints to settle in and get a feel for the place, it's a cosy low ceiled and atmosheric pub of about 38 covers but there's not a lot of excess space!

as an amuse deep fried white bait and marie rose were offered, not my personal favourite but i did try one just to remind myself that, no, i really don't like things that fishy!

i'd been recommended the glazed omlette to start with so had that whilst sarah had a butternut squash soup with trompettes and scallop, and also some unadvertised but excellent cubes of pesto (a la cromesquis) to drop in very good. I think there's a picture of the omlette in the dictionary under 'unctous' a creamy parmesany lobstery mix flashed under the grill and served in a pan, very good.

for mains i was intruiged by the fillet of bass with pork belly, cockles ,pickled apples and honey gravy so went for that whilst sarah had a whole lemon sole with pommes galette and sauteed turnips. On arrival the bass was a little less porky than i had hoped with an almost large lardon of pork rather than a slab, but that probably says more about my greed than the dish. Sarah's sole was less of a success, it had a mushy texture that to us suggested it had been sous vided, and indeed on mentioning this elsewhere i was told that whilst dover soles cook brilliantly SV lemon soles just disintegrate into a puddle. she wasn't a fan.

things improved with dessert i had an apple souffle , looking for the lighter option! and sarah a very vivid white chocolate and mango trifle.

espresso and mint tea for the mrs followed and a calva to digest, all in all a very convivial evening.

you don't win friends with salad

Gary - lemon sole is a soggy fish whatever way you cook it. It is a very poor fish compared to a Dover that is why Dovers are so much more expensive. A good trick you can try at home with lemon sole is to freeze them - it breaks down the flesh and drys it out a bit. They are then a bit less soggy when grilled.

My link

When it breaks down water drains out leaving the flesh dryer - I am not saying it is ideal but they do improve. Normaly I am an exponant of the 3F's and two of them are freezing and food and Ramsey will supply the other!

Edited by Pam Brunning (log)

My link

• 10 months later...

Just a note to say that we ate here last weekend. This was our second visit. It was absolutely superb.

The kitchen were on fire (that's a good thing in this context) and everything we were served was flawless.

I don't have time to recap all the dishes but special mention goes to my Thame pigeon wellington wrapped with fois gras. The accompanying vin jaune sauce was superb. The duck fat chips were great as always. My other half was in raptures about her cod with artichoke puree, smoked roe, hazlenuts and golden raisins. There were no complaints about Tom's signature duck dish (peas swapped for savoy cabbage in a nod to winter).

But the most impressive thing was the beautiful presentation of each dish - and absolutely bang-on cooking, even with 6 people to serve. 100% satisfaction over 18 (well, 16 as my mum omitted a starter and dessert - preferring to eat ours, grr) is a rare thing indeed!

Edited by nickloman (log)

Just a note to say that we ate here last weekend. This was our second visit. It was absolutely superb.

The kitchen were on fire (that's a good thing in this context) and everything we were served was flawless.

I don't have time to recap all the dishes but special mention goes to my Thame pigeon wellington wrapped with fois gras. The accompanying vin jaune sauce was superb. The duck fat chips were great as always. My other half was in raptures about her cod with artichoke puree, smoked roe, hazlenuts and golden raisins. There were no complaints about Tom's signature duck dish (peas swapped for savoy cabbage in a nod to winter).

But the most impressive thing was the beautiful presentation of each dish - and absolutely bang-on cooking, even with 6 people to serve. 100% satisfaction over 18 (well, 16 as my mum omitted a starter and dessert - preferring to eat ours, grr) is a rare thing indeed!

We passed here on Saturday on our way to Danesfield House and had fond memories of our meal there.

Time just flashes past as its nearly two years since I started this thread on 17 Feb 2009.

Do they still do that £10 lunch deal?

What's happened with the photos? None recently.

Have you stopped taking them?

@d_goodfellow1

Set lunch looks to have gone up slightly in price, but still extremely reasonable at £12.50/£16.50:

http://www.thehandandflowers.co.uk/pdf/Set_Lunch.pdf

I must admit I have stopped taking my camera to restaurants in general. That means I sometimes take a photo or two with my iPhone but the quality is so poor I don't like to share.

I have a few "event meals" (well, that is what I am led to believe - it's my birthday next month) coming up soon so perhaps I will bring out the trusty Panasonic for them just for you David :)

• 9 months later...

After loving Tom on GBM my partner booked us in to eat here a couple of months ago. The food was sublime! I also got to meet the big man himself after the girlfriend made a special request (it was my birthday). It was really odd, I went all shy and felt like a little boy meeting his idol....I blame it on the beer!

We had the GBM pork dish with head and belly and the potatoes cooked in salt pastry. It was one huge feed... I had a starter and getting through the main was quite a struggle. Its one of those dishes that you just dont want to loose the battle with because its just too good to let pass. The service was very friendly and attentive and over all we have rated it best of all the eateries we have been too (Dinner with Heston, Gordon Ramsay Paris, Le Gavroche etc).

The Cottage is also great. They are all right next too the main road so every so slightly noisy but that didnt detract from the hot tub ;) They also have Nespresso machines in the rooms which is great (I always think about taking mine)

Over all I would highly recommend. I have some photos. I will upload sometime.

Cheers

Chris

P.s The bread was stunning.

I went a couple of weeks ago for my birthday and it was perfect. We shared the smoked haddock omelette to start and are still talking about how something that was so rich could taste so light. I then had the duck (from Great British Menu 2010), which came with duck-fat chips (could have eaten a LOT of those!). Boyfriend had steak. Suffice to say, we didn't chat much as we were too busy eating!

It's a charming little place, service is extremely friendly and I really appreciated the little touches, such as a birthday card for me on our table. Boyfriend also loved that not an eyelid was batted when he requested a pint of ale with his dinner.

Overall, definitely a new favourite place. Can't wait to go back.

Three of us had dinner there yesterday and endorse everything Chris and Juniper say upthread.

Forewarned by Chris, I asked about portion size and was told (by an excellent wait staff) to expect generous quantities. Accordingly we shared a Duck and Foie Gras parfait served with toasted brioche slices. Lovely taste and texture and well complemented by a (fig?) chutney.

To my sorrow, Roast Hog was off the menu, so all three of us had the slow cooked Duck Breast with Savoy Cabbage, Duck Fat Chips and Gravy. Served on a wooden board, with Savoy cabbage in a Staub cocotte and the chips in a small copper pan, it was a picture and ate gloriously. Definitely in my top 5 main courses ever.

I (and the daughter) have a sweet tooth and have never knowingly passed up on dessert, but (both of us) had to admit defeat and settled for Espressos instead!

To my mind this kind of place embodies an ideal of Modern British fine dining - relaxed ambience, unstuffy (but knowledgeable) service and food forward. It is amazing to think that Michelin get this!

Top tips:

Unless you have a (very?) large appetite, do not eat up all of the bread served at the beginning, share the starter and you may just have a shot at trying the desserts.

Do not get here too early. There is very limited space at the bar and one is always in the way of the wait staff trying to get to the tables past the bar :-)