• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

best chocolate cake recipe?

chocoera

i have 2 chocolate cakes with cookies n' cream buttercream (for filling) due in 2 weeks, (ironic...what are the odds two separate people would request the same thing?...except one cake is requested covered in american buttercream, one requested with italian buttercream...both vanilla)

anyway, i have 3 recipes i'm considering...but am unsure which sounds better? they will be torted, and i'm not shy in saying i could use a sugar syrup if need be....but all three are so different, and i'm not such a baking expert to where if i look at a recipe i can tell how the cake would turn out. :blink: but i'm looking for a sinful, moist cake that can withstand torting (some cakes i've seen are to "crumbly" to torte in several layers) and that you can taste it and say...whoa...that is not a box! and with everything, i'm a fan of real butter, cream etc....

thanks for looking! any opinions or favorite recipes for cake, american/italian buttercream, cookies n' cream icing are appreciated!! (ps: don't look at quantities, just ratios and types of ingredients) :biggrin:

recipe 1

200 gram bar of Valrhona 61% cocao

3 sticks butter

2-1/4 cups sugar

8 eggs

1-1/4 cup flour

1/4 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened

1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

pinch of salt

1. chop chocolate and transfer into the bowl of a standing mixer.

2. add butter to the chocolate and place the bowl over a pan of simmering water. stir until chocolate melts and butter is combined.

3. remove from heat and stir in sugar. let mixture cool for 10 minutes.

4. beat in an electric mixer for 3 minutes.

5. add one egg at a time, mixing for 30 seconds between each

6. sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and a pinch of salt into the mixture and mix until blended, pour then bake

recipe 2: serendipity's chocolate cake

3 cups cake flour

1 3/4 tsp baking soda

4 sticks unsalted butter

4 1/2 cups brown sugar

7 lg eggs

2 tsp vanilla

2 1/2 cup cold water

1 cup sour cream

1 lb unsweetened choc melted and cooled

*oven at 325, butter 4: 9 inch pans. sift flour and baking soda. cream butter and sugar. add eggs, vanilla and mix. add dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with cold water. mix. add sour cream and melted chocolate. bake 30-40 min.

recipe 3...

For cake

* 2 cups all-purpose flour

* 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)

* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened

* 1 cup packed dark brown sugar

* 3/4 cup granulated sugar

* 4 large eggs at room temperature for 30 minutes

* 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled

* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

* 1 1/2 cups well-shaken buttermilk

Make cake:

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 2 (9- by 2-inch) round cake pans and line bottom of each with a round of parchment or wax paper. Butter paper and dust pans with flour, knocking out excess.

Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into a small bowl. Beat together butter and sugars in a large bowl using an electric mixer at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes in a standing mixer or 4 to 5 minutes with a handheld. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add chocolate and vanilla and beat until just combined. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately in 3 batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture and mixing until just combined.

Divide batter between cake pans, spreading evenly, and bake until a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center of each cake layer comes out clean, 25 to 35 minutes.

thanks you guys! here's hoping! :raz:

• Similar Content

• By cteavin
      I posted this on YouTube the other day and thought I'd post it here. Personally, when I make them for me I only use Erythritol (a sugar substitute) but depending on the friend sugar or a blend of the two. Unlike other zucchini brownies, these don't use egg white, so they're not cake-y, but dense and fudgy. 

Oh, and because I use whey protein, they're higher in protein and good for post-workout bite. 

Ingredients
      300 -400 grams zucchini 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 cup sugar or sugar substitute 1/2 cup cocoa 1-2 tablespoons flavoring (brandy, rum, vanilla, etc) 2 shots of espresso (or instant, 60ml/2oz) 2 egg yolks 1/2 cup flour 1/2 cup oatmeal 1 cup whey protein (or milk powder) 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional, but adds nice flavor)   1. Mince the zucchini in the food processor with the salt.
      2. Add the sugar or sugar substitute and process until the sugar is dissolved.
      3. Bloom your cocoa: In a separate bowl, combine the cocoa with HOT espresso and your flavorings (including cinnamon). Stir until mostly dissolved.
      4. To the food processor add the cocoa mixture and two egg yolks and blend together.
      5. Add the whey protein or milk powder to the mixture and blend together.
      6. Add the oatmeal and blend.
      7. Add the flour and pulse to incorporate (in other words, try not to over mix).
      8. Pour into a brownie pan and bake for 20-30 minutes at 180C/350F
    • By KTM
      Hello friends,

We recently got our selmi plus ex and have had a handful of successful runs. So far mostly with our enrobing line. 

Theres been 2 occasions now that I have noticed when tempering the machine is cooling past the target temp. When it does this it goes down into the 28c range and the screw pump has to shut off due to the temp and viscosity. 

I also noticed the manual is pretty light on operational procedures. 

The 2 things I can think of that might be causing this other then an equipment error is 
      the chocolate used is to thick or there is a build up of chocolate around the temperature probe near the faucet. 

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue before. 
    • By ShylahSinger
      Hello! I'm fairly new to this site so I don't know if my search was weak. I'm trying to find a way to make Mandarin orange puree at home, but I couldn't find anything even similar in the forum. I am a home cook, but I have been making chocolate bonbons and other confections for over 4 years (intermitantly). It is too expensive for me to purchase this online- not because of the price of the puree, but the cost of shipping makes it prohibative. The recipes I've seen online are all differant and don't seem to be what I need. 
      I would love any help with this! I look forward to hearing and learning from those who have much, much more experience than me. Thanks!
    • By Darienne
      In hopes of sleeping better, etc, etc, I have currently given up gluten, dairy and now sugar.  The gluten and dairy pose no problems...the sugar does.  I am not happy using mannitol or erythritol or any of those artificial sweeteners...they give me severe digestive problems.   But I can tolerate stevia very nicely.  The only problem is that there doesn't seem to be much sweetened with this ingredient.

I do have a carob/coconut oil/peanut butter/stevia candy of sorts.  I don't really like it all that much, but it does work.  That's about it.

Has anyone any recipes for desserts using stevia?  Thanks.