• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

best chocolate cake recipe?

chocoera

i have 2 chocolate cakes with cookies n' cream buttercream (for filling) due in 2 weeks, (ironic...what are the odds two separate people would request the same thing?...except one cake is requested covered in american buttercream, one requested with italian buttercream...both vanilla)

anyway, i have 3 recipes i'm considering...but am unsure which sounds better? they will be torted, and i'm not shy in saying i could use a sugar syrup if need be....but all three are so different, and i'm not such a baking expert to where if i look at a recipe i can tell how the cake would turn out. :blink: but i'm looking for a sinful, moist cake that can withstand torting (some cakes i've seen are to "crumbly" to torte in several layers) and that you can taste it and say...whoa...that is not a box! and with everything, i'm a fan of real butter, cream etc....

thanks for looking! any opinions or favorite recipes for cake, american/italian buttercream, cookies n' cream icing are appreciated!! (ps: don't look at quantities, just ratios and types of ingredients) :biggrin:

recipe 1

200 gram bar of Valrhona 61% cocao

3 sticks butter

2-1/4 cups sugar

8 eggs

1-1/4 cup flour

1/4 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened

1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

pinch of salt

1. chop chocolate and transfer into the bowl of a standing mixer.

2. add butter to the chocolate and place the bowl over a pan of simmering water. stir until chocolate melts and butter is combined.

3. remove from heat and stir in sugar. let mixture cool for 10 minutes.

4. beat in an electric mixer for 3 minutes.

5. add one egg at a time, mixing for 30 seconds between each

6. sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and a pinch of salt into the mixture and mix until blended, pour then bake

recipe 2: serendipity's chocolate cake

3 cups cake flour

1 3/4 tsp baking soda

4 sticks unsalted butter

4 1/2 cups brown sugar

7 lg eggs

2 tsp vanilla

2 1/2 cup cold water

1 cup sour cream

1 lb unsweetened choc melted and cooled

*oven at 325, butter 4: 9 inch pans. sift flour and baking soda. cream butter and sugar. add eggs, vanilla and mix. add dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with cold water. mix. add sour cream and melted chocolate. bake 30-40 min.

recipe 3...

For cake

* 2 cups all-purpose flour

* 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)

* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened

* 1 cup packed dark brown sugar

* 3/4 cup granulated sugar

* 4 large eggs at room temperature for 30 minutes

* 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled

* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

* 1 1/2 cups well-shaken buttermilk

Make cake:

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 2 (9- by 2-inch) round cake pans and line bottom of each with a round of parchment or wax paper. Butter paper and dust pans with flour, knocking out excess.

Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into a small bowl. Beat together butter and sugars in a large bowl using an electric mixer at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes in a standing mixer or 4 to 5 minutes with a handheld. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add chocolate and vanilla and beat until just combined. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately in 3 batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture and mixing until just combined.

Divide batter between cake pans, spreading evenly, and bake until a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center of each cake layer comes out clean, 25 to 35 minutes.

thanks you guys! here's hoping! :raz: