• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shallot Preparations

SaladFingers

I'm wanting to use shallots as an accompaniment but would like to hear suggestions for ways of making them interesting.

I just tried making shallot puree, which involved sauteing 2 shallots in 25g of butter for 4 minutes, then adding a clove of garlic for a minute, then adding 2 tsp honey and a splash of water for a minute then blening. Unfortunately I added too much honey and while it was nice, I think it's perhaps a little too sweet!

Other shallot recipes I have is glazed baby carrots and onions where you boil the shallots in their skins for 5 minutes then, add them to a pan with butter, garlic and thyme for 20. This is fine.

and

Roasted shallots - splash of red wine, thyme and garlic in the oven for half an hour. Again they're nice

but any other suggestions?

I've made the Braised Shallot Confit from Molly Steven's All About Braising a few times. They have the same character as balsamic glazed shallots but are quite a bit less sweet.

Brown the shallots in butter, then add some cognac and flambées them for a minute. When there is nothing but a glaze left, add dry red wine and some thyme to the shallots, and cook covered on low heat for 45 minutes until very soft. Finish by reducing what liquid is left to a glaze, and adding more fresh thyme.

You could cook them down with a little salt, pepper, vinegar and some sugar to make a caramelized shallot marmalade. Put that at the bottom of small glasses and top it with a roasted shallot infused savory panna cotta. You could even include some type of creamy cheese in the panna cotta base if you wanted. You might even want to set the panna cotta with agar or an agar-gelatin mix so they could be gently warmed for service.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Those Molly Stevens braised shallots are one of the few recipes from the last few years that left me thinking, "there isn't anything I could do to improve this." Just amazing.

On the first recipe, with the honey, I'd suggest that it's important to taste any shallots you're using before cooking them. They vary enormously. Think of that honey as corrective seasoning. Some shallots are going to need more than what's specified, and some might not need any at all.

Notes from the underbelly

A shallot tarte tatin is one of the more unusual dishes in my repertoire. I haven't made this particular recipe, but something close to it. Make sure there's enough vinegar (acid) to balance off the buttery shallots and pancetta. A very rich & delicious dish.

http://thepassionatecook.typepad.com/thepa..._tatin_of_.html