• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Three Disgusting Ingredients

Smarmotron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I think the challenge here is to name 3 ingredients that together create a horrible taste, but that go together when paired. Otherwise why bother? If any two ingredients create a horrible taste - or even if one is nasty, then there is no real point to this puzzle - just name two and be done with it. And just to name unusual ingredients is no good either, though I like some of the surreal entries (like horse, horseradish, and seahorses - but this may taste good?).

So this is a really hard challenge!

I think I've thought of one - and I also like the very first as well. Here's mine:

Chocolate, Mint, and Strawberries

Now you may say Strawberries and mint don't go together, but they do - at least fresh mint (spearmint at least) with strawberries is pretty nice. But both with chocolate???? I think it would be pretty awful.

Any others.... It took me hours to come up with mine.

Edited by heidih
edited out admin w/ member permission (log)

Grape jelly, canned cream of mushroom soup and bottled barbeque sauce.

These three ingredients are part of an actual crockpot recipe someone shared with me years ago. I think they were combined as a sauce for pre-made, store-bought frozen meatballs. I passed on this one.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

lutefisk, white truffle oil, stinky tofu...

I watch too much Andrew Zimmerman....can you tell? :smile:

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

coffee, cream, and tea.

I would drink this! It's actually a pretty common bubble tea/pearl milk tea combo at Hong Kong & Taiwanese tea houses and it's surprisingly not bad. :smile:

I would not, however, drink a durian, avocado & mint milkshake - gaack!

coffee, cream, and tea.

I would drink this! It's actually a pretty common bubble tea/pearl milk tea combo at Hong Kong & Taiwanese tea houses and it's surprisingly not bad. :smile:

Really? the times I've had tea out of a cup with even the slightest coffee residue, it's made me want to gag. I've always been amazed by the way the flavors fight it out.

Notes from the underbelly