• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Three Disgusting Ingredients

Smarmotron

I would eat ketchup, cottage cheese, and oysters any day sad to say. i may attempt such a thing broiled and get back to you.

salmon, lime jello, beets. the color would, however, be lurid to the extreme.

caviar and sour cream on dark chocolate

That actually sounds like an edible combination ... warm the chocolate on something crunchy (graham cracker?) and top with a little creme fraiche and a spot of mild trout caviar ... I wonder ... :unsure:

Bonus points if any TWO of those ingredients would go together just fine.

I think you should get double bonus points if no combination of two ingredients would work together. Given the rules though, so far I think tripe, peaches, and cream is outpacing the field.

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

durian, putrified shark and grubs

Isn't that already a comfort food in Iceland?

(I should have said Sardines, grape jelly, and clotted cream.)

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

Spam, Cool Whip, Hamburger Helper.

Edit: Why do I have this nasty feeling someone is going to tell me Sandra Lee already did this one?

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

cucumber, chocolate chips, salmon

Hmmm. Dark chocolate is supposed to pair well with smoked salmon. Cucumber works perfectly well with salmon. I can't quite put cucumber and chocolate together in my head though. Dammit, thought I was going to find a way to make this one work. :raz:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

cucumber, chocolate chips, salmon

Hmmm. Dark chocolate is supposed to pair well with smoked salmon. Cucumber works perfectly well with salmon. I can't quite put cucumber and chocolate together in my head though. Dammit, thought I was going to find a way to make this one work. :raz:

:laugh:

Now that I think about it, what about dipping half of a cucumber stick in chocolate? Seems like that even if it wasn't fabulous at least it wouldn't be disgusting. And how many people are sucking down unripe strawberries dipped in chocolate as we speak? Nasty things.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Licorice, buttermilk, and Velveeta "cheese".

I actually did the licorice and buttermilk once when I was pregnant with my last child because I was craving both. Not a good plan!

I just threw in the Velveeta as I had to have a third nasty ingredient.